FNRttC - new London startpoint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

Mice's suggestion of the stairs has me thinking that we should convene outside some sort of grandiose building, ideally one with a balcony (preferably supported by columns - Ionic, let's say), from which the safety talk could be delivered.

There could be flags and draped fabrics.....

EDIT: Come to think of it, I might show some interest if the next batch of Friday's tops were to feature epaulettes.

U

User10571

So is that it?
Have I killed the thread?
There was a distinct flow earlier. A rhythm. A souplesse, if you will.
And now, nothing. Zilch. Nada.

So which was it?
The drapes? Or the epaulettes?
I know! It was the balcony, wasn't it?
Or do I eat supper at a different time to the rest of you?

Hmm?

Tim Hall

They're all trying to live up to the epitome of Cycling Cool they fear may be thrust upon them, having seen the Poster Boy picture over in The Other Place.

U

User10571

Ah! There you are.

If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, that was more wave, less salute.

Honest.

And I wasn't sufficiently colour coordinated to be mistaken as being in a uniform.

So is that it?
Have I killed the thread?
There was a distinct flow earlier. A rhythm. A souplesse, if you will.
And now, nothing. Zilch. Nada.

So which was it?
The drapes? Or the epaulettes?
I know! It was the balcony, wasn't it?
Or do I eat supper at a different time to the rest of you?

Hmm?
I just popped into this thread from a mind-numbing (what's different?) day, and I wonder if your suggestion has got 'mileage', User10571?

Dictator.jpg

Of course, this is some time in the future, when our designer cannot make up his mind about 'this year's colour' so decides to wear a swatch of each on his breast. Might stop the traffic though!

U

User10571

ROTFLMAO!

What's weird is that you've 'shopped (quite accurately) what was in my brane.
(Other than the Audax stylee beard.....)

That's an entire Pantone® chart he's wearing, isn't it?

U

User482

I seem to have missed the boat...

Anyway, I like HPC. It adds to the sense of occasion, and provides for easy access from Paddington, which is particularly important after one has indulged in a pre-ride sharpener with the greatly esteemed theclaud. Moreover, I've finally managed to navigate from Paddington to HPC and Victoria without going via Trafalgar square.

thom

____
I seem to have missed the boat...

Anyway, I like HPC. It adds to the sense of occasion, and provides for easy access from Paddington, which is particularly important after one has indulged in a pre-ride sharpener with the greatly esteemed theclaud. Moreover, I've finally managed to navigate from Paddington to HPC and Victoria without going via Trafalgar square.

Both BFI bars, the Riverfront and Benugo's, are good places for romantic tete a tetes.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
ah-ha. Very clever!

Maybe I'm just suffering some kind of menopausal ennui, but, speaking personally, HPC was more fun when we were a band of bicycling desperados heading off in to the unknown, although I accept that for a few people each month, we are heading off in to the unknown.

There is no doubt that HBC has 'iconicity'. For the eastward rides it has the tremendous advantage of a straight line for the first few hundred yards. And, again, for the eastward rides again it's easy to marshal down to the river, and, once at the river, all is well - indeed, given the view, all is wonderful. For the southward rides it's handily placed - Sloane Square is better placed, but Sloane Square is crowded and more difficult for the northern and eastern crew to get to.

Truth to tell I'm feeling a little abashed. I hadn't realised that people liked HPC quite as much as they do.

This is what I've decided. It will be the NFT for one month only. Hopefully this will teach me a lesson, and we'll revert to HPC. But, if only for one month, I would dearly like to try something different. Indulge me, please.

I'm going to send an e-mail to all the people registered for the Whitstable ride, and require an answer from each of them. Anybody who doesn't answer will get a phone call....

Right, having sorted that out, I'll turn to the late LonJoG cancellation. Pass the surface to cyclist missiles.....

We'd definitely need a different point- or a somewhat more convoluted route east- that weekend anyway- Constitution Hill, The Mall, Spur Road all shut.. http://www.royalparks.org.uk/home/n...ws/park-road-closures-for-the-diamond-jubilee

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Not wanting to be on the end of one of Simon's missiles!!

What about thinking outside the box and starting at the coast and heading to London especially Southend? Tully family will still be visited and would allow more 'Slag' drinking time at LMNHs!!!!!!!!!
Rogerzilla of the other place does his FNRttSs (from, er, Oxford).....good idea though.

thom

____
1853312 said:
This is a massed start ride Thom
I was just trying to help them out. Indeed the propinquity of QEH and NT bars gives other options with superior views.

Anyway, I'm curious as to how many people actually have much of a drink before these. Given the rides start well after closing hours, bar proximity is a moot point for most.

Wobblers

Euthermic
ah-ha. Very clever!

Maybe I'm just suffering some kind of menopausal ennui, but, speaking personally, HPC was more fun when we were a band of bicycling desperados heading off in to the unknown, although I accept that for a few people each month, we are heading off in to the unknown.

There is no doubt that HBC has 'iconicity'. For the eastward rides it has the tremendous advantage of a straight line for the first few hundred yards. And, again, for the eastward rides again it's easy to marshal down to the river, and, once at the river, all is well - indeed, given the view, all is wonderful. For the southward rides it's handily placed - Sloane Square is better placed, but Sloane Square is crowded and more difficult for the northern and eastern crew to get to.

Truth to tell I'm feeling a little abashed. I hadn't realised that people liked HPC quite as much as they do.

This is what I've decided. It will be the NFT for one month only. Hopefully this will teach me a lesson, and we'll revert to HPC. But, if only for one month, I would dearly like to try something different. Indulge me, please.

Actually, I'm warming up to the idea of starting Somewhere Else. HPC is not the making of the FNRttC. Starting somewhere else adds to the sense of adventure. Why not the South Bank for rides heading eastwards? It can't be denied that it's a sufficiently spectacular backdrop.

Or you could always start from Birmingham...

thom

____
1853473 said:
When did you last go to a pub Thom? They are open all sorts of hours these days.
How many decent pubs do you know open in central London after 11pm ? It's a question not asked to be competitive but because I genuinely want to know for future reference ;-)
BFI places shut at 11pm as do pretty much all places near the southbank apart from some actors drinking hole near the Old Vic. You can go up the OXO I guess but I doubt they'd let you in in Lycra, or that you'd want to go on a Friday night.
There are open all night places like SXL that might be more to your liking but I really have no idea what goes on there. Just that there often appear to be a surfeit of bald middle aged men in tight clothes in the queues...

Top Bottom