FNRttC syndication

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Open Question for dellzeqq ...

What would need to be done by someone to organize a FNRttC under the umbrella of the existing FNRttC, but in areas of the country outside the range from London?

In particular I would like to try something starting in either Edinburgh or Glasgow, but there is no reason this could not include starts from other major towns/cities like Manchester, Newcastle, ...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Open Question for dellzeqq ...

What would need to be done by someone to organize a FNRttC under the umbrella of the existing FNRttC, but in areas of the country outside the range from London?

In particular I would like to try something starting in either Edinburgh or Glasgow, but there is no reason this could not include starts from other major towns/cities like Manchester, Newcastle, ...
call it something else

there is nowhere outside the range. We've done Manchester to Blackpool, and we're going to do it again next year. We've done York to Cleethorpes and York to Hull, and we'll do York to Hull again next year. We've done Cardiff to Swansea and we'll do it again next year. We might yet do HPCJoG - if we don't do Barcelona to Nice. I took a look at Glasgow to Oban (I have a daughter in Glasgow) but was dissuaded by people who knew the turf better than I. I've looked at starting in Birmingham, but can't see a destination within reach, and I've given some thought to starts in Sheffield, Leeds and Edinburgh, all following suggestions from these very boards.

I'm always open to suggestion if someone has a good idea (train connections are paramount, halfway stops are difficult but necessary, the start should have some urban significance and the finish should be by the coast with beer on tap before ten in the morning). The route should have something to say about the area - Manchester to Blackpool had towns, hills and flatlands, while York to Hull had to be flat and had to include the Humber Bridge. Views are good, but simplicity is really good - Manchester to Blackpool had seventeen miles without a discretionary turn and London to Brighton has had as few as six discretionary turns.

Suggestions should be backed up by a push from someone in the area - TC gave the South Wales ride the most almighty push, and we got over 60 people. The Manchester to Blackpool ride was a great night out, and I'm hoping that next year's will get a bigger crowd, but if I thought it was never going to get past 35 (with over half coming from London and the southeast) I'd probably give up, simply because the expense of three trips is so great and it's difficult to maintain a halfway stop for only 35 riders - and perhaps try Carlisle to Newcastle instead, by way of a thankyou to McShroom

Beyond that there's a pretty rigid QA system, which encompasses every rider having 3rd party insurance, the route being safe (I usually do two recce rides, but one route needed five or six), all the junctions being ironed out, proven TECs, proven wayfinders, the pace being moderated to suit the ride, collecting points worked out and so on and so forth.

2012 isn't set in stone, but it's close. If someone comes up with a really whizzo idea, then I might drop a ride to bring it in.

this isn't the only way to do night rides, but it's the FNRttC way. If you want to organise a night ride off your own bat, then the very best of luck to you - if there's anything I can do to help I will - but, like I said, call it something else.

StuartG

slower but further
Hi Del,

ABERYSTWYTH? The ideal end point as tested by me last Thursday morning. By the sea and surrounded by magnificent countryside with a wondrous Wetherspoons open at 7am for full English (!!!) breakfast @ £3.40 and the bar opens at 9am with Ruddles @ £1.80 - Abbott @ £2.15. It adjoins the station platform so one can be poured directly onto the train without having to navigate even a pavement. Surely heaven?

Only downside is a 2 carriage train every 2 hours (so some staggered drinking required). The strong could cycle up to Dovey Junction and raid the Pwllheli train (they re-unite at Machynlleth). Even so you wouldn't want more than 24 train exiting riders - say 30/40 overall.

Carmarthen (oldest town in Wales) to Aber is about 50 miles coast to coast. I've found some interesting back roads so no A487. You wouldn't want to go further with some climbs that may even have Teef in single figures. I had to walk about 3/4 on my 3 speed Brompton. But the Welsh are (mostly) a friendly mad lot. There might be a farmer half way willing to exchange a shotgun for an urn in a barn or something. Any ideas TC or LD?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Hi Del,

ABERYSTWYTH? The ideal end point as tested by me last Thursday morning. By the sea and surrounded by magnificent countryside with a wondrous Wetherspoons open at 7am for full English (!!!) breakfast @ £3.40 and the bar opens at 9am with Ruddles @ £1.80 - Abbott @ £2.15. It adjoins the station platform so one can be poured directly onto the train without having to navigate even a pavement. Surely heaven?

Only downside is a 2 carriage train every 2 hours (so some staggered drinking required). The strong could cycle up to Dovey Junction and raid the Pwllheli train (they re-unite at Machynlleth). Even so you wouldn't want more than 24 train exiting riders - say 30/40 overall.

Carmarthen (oldest town in Wales) to Aber is about 50 miles coast to coast. I've found some interesting back roads so no A487. You wouldn't want to go further with some climbs that may even have Teef in single figures. I had to walk about 3/4 on my 3 speed Brompton. But the Welsh are (mostly) a friendly mad lot. There might be a farmer half way willing to exchange a shotgun for an urn in a barn or something. Any ideas TC or LD?

It's quite a big downside. Getting 24 out of there happily by train is wildly optimistic. The reason Aber feels so isolated is because it is. That can be nice, but not after a night ride when you're possibly soaked (in both senses) and face a seven-hour journey home. And that's just London - getting back to Swansea, for example, is pretty much impossible...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I suggested Rothesay (Bute) as a destination from Glasgow - it may be a much better bet than Oban. But Scottish on-the-ground know-how will be required.

StuartG

slower but further
Getting 24 out of there happily by train is wildly optimistic ... getting back to Swansea, for example, is pretty much impossible...
24 was calculated at getting 4 on each of 3 trains from Aber + Dovey (the 9.30/11.30/13.30). I've seen more than 4 on a train but to be safe it would perhaps need a bit of pre-negotiation. Arriva are pretty hopeless but that means the locals (centred in Maccy) seem to take the decisions and there are not many guards to brief. They are lovely people.

Oh - you forget that Shrewsbury is the Crewe of Wales with connecting trains directly back to Cardiff, Swansea and Carmarthen. Arriva do some really cheap tickets (£15 last year) if you keep to their networks. The Aber train then connects with the Virgin Pendolino in Birmingham for London (4.45 hrs overall) & the universe.

Oh and the narrow guage Rheidol departs the same Aber station for those wanting to make a weekend of it!

I forgot to add that Wetherspoons huge loo & hand driers may make the exchange of fluids sufficent ...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
24 was calculated at getting 4 on each of 3 trains from Aber/Dovey. I've seen more than 4 on a train but to be safe it would perhaps need a bit of pre-negotiation. Arriva are pretty hopeless but that means the locals (centred in Maccy) seem to take the decisions and there are not many guards to brief. They are lovely people.

Oh - you forget that Shrewsbury is the Crewe of Wales with connecting directly back to Cardiff, Swansea and Carmarthen. Arriva do some really cheap tickets (£15 last year) if you keep to their networks. The Aber train then connects with the Virgin Pendolino in Brimingham for London & the universe.

Oh and the narrow guage Rheidol departs the same Aber station for those wanting to make a weekend of it!

Yebbut that's "direct" in the Arriva sense of the word. To most people, "direct" does not involve a tour of Barry and Rhoose.

But never mind that... tell me about the halfway stop... :whistle:

frank9755

Cyclist
Shame that Oban didn't make the cut as the very short midsummer nights up there make for something a bit different and the roads are very quiet, but I expect the logistics might have been challenging.

But, if suggestions are wanted, I think that the one that is crying out to be done is Bruges. Ride to Harwich, then the ferry to Hoek is, in my opinion, the least unpleasant form of ex-UK international travel. They even have decent food! Its then about 130km to Bruges, which is a great destination with quality beer aplenty to wash down the moules frites!

To come home, there is an easy connection to the Eurostar, or, for the ride-backers, pedal to Oostende or Calais and get the ferry.

There are plenty of variations - obviously Amsterdam if people don't mind flying home or Gent spring to mind. Brussels would be good but unfortunately it's a bit shite.

I've ridden from Hoek-Amsterdam, and a fair bit around Bruges, and it is all wonderful cycling of the pancake flat[sup]™[/sup] variety.

The only issue is that I think it would work best as a day ride from London, an overnight ferry, then a day ride from Hoek to Bruges, so not much night riding! But maybe the day ferry would work too...?

StuartG

slower but further
But never mind that... tell me about the halfway stop... :whistle:
I did. Its something easier for you to find than me. But as the idea of a Welsh ride without your enthusiasm is a bit of a non-starter - I'm not encouraged to go and look.

Tell me why you are so against? I mean there are enough issues to overcome without introducing those that do not. I've done Carmarthen to Aberystwyth easily (albeit in two legs) on a Brompton so its not that difficult on a road bike and, as Del says, gives a real taste of Wales. Hills, and unless you are very unlucky, Rain
wink.gif

I did. Its something easier for you to find than me. But as the idea of a Welsh ride without your enthusiasm is a bit of a non-starter - I'm not encouraged to go and look.

Tell me why you are so against? I mean there are enough issues to overcome without introducing those that do not. I've done Carmarthen to Aberystwyth easily (albeit in two legs) on a Brompton so its not that difficult on a road bike and, as Del says, gives a real taste of Wales. Hills, and unless you are very unlucky, Rain
wink.gif

Euphemism for '...you sort out the technicalities...' :smile: Naughty Stuart, who'll fold his bike up and jump on board...

And, I immediately get Harry Secombe (Sir Cumfrence - he met his wife in Mumbles dance hall...)) and Songs of Praise, and Aberystwyth evokes old episodes of Bamber Gascoigne and University Challenge! A photocall in front of a local shop perhaps?

In answer to Touche's OP - 'OOKttC' "Out Of Kilt...er to the Coast" or maybe 'WTtHRWTtLR' "We'll Take the High Road (and) We'll Take the Low Road"
On the Bonny Bonny Cranks to Loch Lomond... ah - back to work!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
It's quite a big downside. Getting 24 out of there happily by train is wildly optimistic. The reason Aber feels so isolated is because it is. That can be nice, but not after a night ride when you're possibly soaked (in both senses) and face a seven-hour journey home. And that's just London - getting back to Swansea, for example, is pretty much impossible...

Even from the Valleys Swansea is a nightmare to get to by train :sad:

StuartG

slower but further
Euphemism for '...you sort out the technicalities...'
No Teef - I was quite prepared to go and look. I already spend rather too much time in that part of Wales.

But a bit of help ... always helps. especially from those more experienced. Indifference would be an advance on the reception received so far.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

wink.gif

Euphemism for '...you sort out the technicalities...' :smile:

:biggrin:

I'm not agin it as such, I just don't think it's going to happen unless someone has the time and the will to help sort it out. And given the inaccessibility of that area to someone who works full-time and relies on cycling and public transport to get about, that isn't going to be me. And Dellzeqq might be a remarkably talented sort of fellow, but he can't be everywhere, not least when everywhere includes Aberystwyth. I think the train thing is a real problem - people need to drift off more or less when it suits them, and there's simply no slack in the system - remember they have to get to the start as well. Either you have too many people for the trains, or not enough for the halfway...

No Teef - I was quite prepared to go and look. I already spend rather too much time in that part of Wales.

But a bit of help ... always helps. especially from those more experienced. Indifference would be an advance on the reception received so far.

"Wales, Wales, bloody great fishes are Wales..." goes the rugby song. I believed stuff like this until I started night riding and I have now graduated to geographic acknowledgement - it is a lovely place. As for enthusiasm, I quite like Frank's idea as it involves chips 'n ships...in no particular order...
"The Friday Night Ride to the Mussels From Brussels" sounds cool.

vandamme.jpg

StuartG

slower but further
And given the inaccessibility of that area to someone who works full-time and relies on cycling and public transport to get about, that isn't going to be me.
Yep - but as I have an office and car stationed near Synod Inn and am there every other week. Hence manpower is not a problem. Womanpower and Delpower maybe. I get there by London-Birmingham - Aber or London - Swansea - Carmarthen train so I think I understand the public transport issues.

Although I have half inhabited that area for nearly 30 years it took your Cardiff - Swansea ride to open my eyes on what I thought had been a cycling impossibility. Now popping up to Aber on my folder is routine and a joy. Going down to Carmarthen is nice 'cos it is downhill ... c'ept I have yet to find a decent Cafe when I get there.

This obsession is all your fault TC
wink.gif

I shall continue to enjoy it alone. Company is better, willing company is even better ...

Top Bottom