Fnrttc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I enjoy reading the informal rides section and I nearly always read the ride reports from anywhere, I often wish I could make it to some of the more distant, from me, rides. I was watching the Claire Balding Britain by Bike thing last night, the episode where she does the loop, out and back, from Hebden Bridge. Really made me want to make one of the Hebden Bridge rides some time.

I've never had the impression that the rides section was dominated by a specific ride, it just seems to reflect the rides that take place and the participants in them.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I enjoy reading the informal rides section and I nearly always read the ride reports from anywhere, I often wish I could make it to some of the more distant, from me, rides. I was watching the Claire Balding Britain by Bike thing last night, the episode where she does the loop, out and back, from Hebden Bridge. Really made me want to make one of the Hebden Bridge rides some time.

Stick 20 May in your diary, then, Al...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Please don't feel obliged to post on here because you're one of the FNRttC regulars!

It would be interesting to know where your 'but' leads to!

Assuming that by 'on here' you mean CC in general. Rather than this thread?

I don't post on here under any sense of obilgation because I'm an FNRttC regular. Nor do I think that by posting I'm doing anyone any sort of favour. I post on here because, having discovered cc, I find participation and interaction with the inhabitants useful and entertaining in almost equal measure. (Apart from P&L, from which I flounced some months ago.) Hopefully some find my contributions to be of similar utility. Or not. 'à votre choix' as they say in France.

One aspect of hanging about here is, admittedly, FNRttC related, I like to hear about what my FNRttC mates are about. Many of them extended the hand of friendship to me when I was a total FNRttC noob and thus I've come to care about them.

The 'but' was in reference to the 'cave of wonders' having some places where mere mortals fear to tread, like P&L, and a fear that by hiving off FNRttC to it's own sub-cave we might make it less accessible to all. I take the points that if you are not one of the FNRttC the threads can be large and tend to dominate at times, and this could be avoided via a sub-forum which could be searched excluded

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I don't post on here under any sense of obilgation because I'm an FNRttC regular. Nor do I think that by posting I'm doing anyone any sort of favour. I post on here because, having discovered cc, I find participation and interaction with the inhabitants useful and entertaining in almost equal measure. (Apart from P&L, from which I flounced some months ago.) Hopefully some find my contributions to be of similar utility. Or not. 'à votre choix' as they say in France.

A quality double-back oblique enflouncement with a Krupsky roundoff, if I remember rightly. Even Smeggers was impressed...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I suppose, strictly speaking, it's no longer informal.
it's less informal.

As it goes I wasn't keen on it being in Informal Rides when Shaun re-organised that part of the board. I always thought that it differed from most of the other rides on that particular board because it was a CTC ride - but, then again, it didn't really line up with Audaxing.

I'm not trying to put words in Shaun's mouth, but the key distinction seems to be that 'Informal Rides' are for cyclists of pretty much every level of experience and ability. And if I hadn't made it clear before now, the FNRttC is an Ellis Island of rides.

Anyroadup - if I'm pushed I think I'd be embarrassed if it had its own board. It simply isn't that important. And it's time will come and go. Who knows - three years from now it could be me, User10571 and the cat.

Assuming that by 'on here' you mean CC in general. Rather than this thread?

One aspect of hanging about here is, admittedly, FNRttC related, I like to hear about what my FNRttC mates are about. Many of them extended the hand of friendship to me when I was a total FNRttC noob and thus I've come to care about them.

The 'but' was in reference to the 'cave of wonders' having some places where mere mortals fear to tread, like P&L, and a fear that by hiving off FNRttC to it's own sub-cave we might make it less accessible to all. I take the points that if you are not one of the FNRttC the threads can be large and tend to dominate at times, and this could be avoided via a sub-forum which could be searched excluded

In that case, I apologise for mis-interpreting your comment!

I wrongly, as it seems, took your 'some of us only joined this forum in the first place because of FNRttC' to read as though you weren't interested in Cycle Chat per se, but used it purely as a means of keeping in touch with your FNRttC mates, which is fine, but I thought I sensed a touch of patronisation, which I'm happy to say was incorrect!

Carry on as you were!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
In that case, I apologise for mis-interpreting your comment!

I wrongly, as it seems, took your 'some of us only joined this forum in the first place because of FNRttC' to read as though you weren't interested in Cycle Chat per se, but used it purely as a means of keeping in touch with your FNRttC mates, which is fine, but I thought I sensed a touch of patronisation, which I'm happy to say was incorrect!

Carry on as you were!

no apology needed, you can't judge the 'tone of voice' in a forum post and read blankly my comment all too easily comes across as chippy and condescending. Whilst I am capable of both, it wasn't my intention.

Maybe I havn t put my point across very well. The london ride is a good example of what Im getting at. A lot of contributions, but its contained in one thread. With the frnttc it can be many and go on for a while with pre and after ride banter, I have no problem with this as such, other than it can at times seem to dominate the board, and deter non particpents of the rides from visiting it. Smaller events getting missed, of course its up to these people to check for rides they may be interested in, but it can be a switch off moment if, the first thing you are greeted by is 3 fnrttc threads.

I take your point about the time of year.

As for clashing,Ive allways tried to arrange things away from your dates, but i think you ve missed my point. Your examples are well suscribed to events, Im talking about the smaller rides organised within the forum.

Anyway, it is up to Shaun as you say. Thats enough from me at the moment, but it would be nice to hear from some would be organisers as to what they think.

Considering that there's a FNRttC once a month from March, and with the non London night rides rides in addition this year, it's to be expected there will be lots of topics. However, there's only 1 topic per ride and if anyone isn't interested in a night ride, then they can ignore them.

However, they are good at getting people to spread their horizons and thinking of trying something different. If the FNRttC threads were in a separate board, then those people would be less likely to come across them.

Speaking as an organiser myself, I certainly don't have a problem with the rides. And I've also done my own night rides as well (and will continue to do so). Yes, I have to make allowance for which Friday is a FNRttC and generally not do a long ride for that weekend, if I want to expect a reasonable number of participants. But then again, I've done rides and only had 1 other person turn up anyway!

There's room for all.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Considering that there's a FNRttC once a month from March, and with the non London night rides rides in addition this year, it's to be expected there will be lots of topics. However, there's only 1 topic per ride and if anyone isn't interested in a night ride, then they can ignore them.

However, they are good at getting people to spread their horizons and thinking of trying something different. If the FNRttC threads were in a separate board, then those people would be less likely to come across them.

Speaking as an organiser myself, I certainly don't have a problem with the rides. And I've also done my own night rides as well (and will continue to do so). Yes, I have to make allowance for which Friday is a FNRttC and generally not do a long ride for that weekend, if I want to expect a reasonable number of participants. But then again, I've done rides and only had 1 other person turn up anyway!

There's room for all.

...and very good rides they are to Adam if the Ashford one I attended last year was anything to go by. These last few weeks Ive witnessed how vibrant the CC community in london is. Long may it continue ! Its a shame we can t get just a fraction of that enthusiasm, in some of the provinces. It must be very satisfying to get a turn up into double figures. An experience I still await :biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
...and very good rides they are to Adam if the Ashford one I attended last year was anything to go by. These last few weeks Ive witnessed how vibrant the CC community in london is. Long may it continue ! Its a shame we can t get just a fraction of that enthusiasm, in some of the provinces. It must be very satisfying to get a turn up into double figures. An experience I still await :biggrin:
are you going to be anywhere near Swansea or Cardiff on May 20th/21st?

Top Bottom