FNRttK 2014 - Saturday May 3rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
See, Bromptonistas rulez.

According to the Tram's website the journey from Oostend to De Panne takes about 50 min. tram every 15 min on a Sunday morning. It'a 20 miles of cycling. So the tram looks like a real alternative, in case its too windy. This makes the 4pm ferry look even more realistically.
that's how we did it, but without Martin's amazing routefinding through Dunkerque we would have been stuffed.

Bikes are ok on Megabus - usually. One German paid two quid for a trip from Cologne to London, and wrapped his bike up and got it on, then used it on an audax near Midhurst. He did say that the bus driver was a keen cyclist, so YMMV. Removing the wheels and wrapping it up in something might work for a "proper" bike but then again it might not..... Which is why I'll have a mini-adventure via Dover, Dunkirk, De Panne, etc etc.
Bromptons could easily be disguised by wrapping in bin liners and parcel tape.
EDIT (And re-edited for accuracy)
Annoying fact: Megabus (owned by Stagecoach of the UK) specifically bans bikes, yet Alsa, the Spanish bus company (owned by National Express of the UK) specifically allows bikes at a fee of €10 provided they are wrapped in plastic, to protect other luggage from oily chains, I guess.
I bet they run the exactly the same buses.

Problem solved*: drop the front wheel out and you have bike parts and not a bike :thumbsup:

*or perhaps not solved at all

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Problem solved*: drop the front wheel out and you have bike parts and not a bike :thumbsup:

*or perhaps not solved at all
Yebbut - the website says one piece of luggage the size of a standard suitcase. And the reason our friend in Cologne took Megabus was because he couldn't get the recumbent bike on Eurostar, so he was left with only Megabus.

*thinks*
It's odd that they ban bikes, because they'd be much richer if they allowed bikes and charged £20 for them - that is equivalent to three or four passengers, but using up no seatspace. I might write to the chief exec and point this out.

The more I read about last year's ride the more I know it's going to be a bit good. The size of wheel decision has yet to be made but I'm just trying to work out travel stuff. Hilariously I can't work out what the days and dates of travel are so if @swarm_catcher you could fill in the gaps that would be fab.

Time and Day??
Ferry to Dover to Dunkirk (24hr return with bicycle via DFDS)

Cycle 20 miles (33k) to De Panne. (2hrs with a tailwind) need route!

Train to Brussels Central euros 18 plus 5 for bike

Meeting point?

Depart from somewhere at a particular time!!

Stop in Ghent. Set fire to tramlines

Coffee in Bruges

Ostend for Breakfast

Tram from Ostend to De Panne station

Cycle back to Dunkirk for the ferry

Ferry to Dover

Much thanks!!

Mice:hello:

PS wherever that coffee stop is @mmmmartin please can we go there @swarm_catcher
PPS Im not a mole (I'm a Mice) so I don't do tunnels (hence the ferry). Just have to workout how to break this news to DZ for the Burnham ride as there's no way I'm going in the Rotherhithe thingy :eek: (fingers crossed there'll be an above ground solution to that)!!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
All good. No need for maps, routes, etc. We can meet at the station at Dover and ride en masse to the ferry port, and across Dunkirk to De Panne and get the train together then walk out of the station to the cafe together. All v easy. Ditto the return, which I rode last year. The only issue is that the trams on the return might not take all the bikes, in which case some must wait 15 minutes for the next one. If Megabus used, small wheels will be accepted and this system could be used, as per @StuartG . If not Megabus then no need for folding, small-wheeled, inferior riding machines.

All good. No need for maps, routes, etc. We can meet at the station at Dover and ride en masse to the ferry port, and across Dunkirk to De Panne and get the train together then walk out of the station to the cafe together. All v easy. Ditto the return, which I rode last year. The only issue is that the trams on the return might not take all the bikes, in which case some must wait 15 minutes for the next one. If Megabus used, small wheels will be accepted and this system could be used, as per @StuartG . If not Megabus then no need for folding, small-wheeled, inferior riding machines.
Hahaha @mmmmartin that could get you into a bit of bother!! Thank you for he reply - v helpful - all I need to know now (well not right now but soon) are the dates. Is the ferry Friday out or Saturday out (what time) and returning Sunday or Monday - and time? I suspect it's already in the thread but being a bit of a thicky (Latin??) and a bit zzzzzzzzzzzz !!!!

Mice :hello:

Edited to correct word correct from but to bit!!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
PS. As for the Rotherhithe going-underground-on-a-deserted-road-at-1am-thingy you'll be fine. There'll be at least half a dozen hairy-arsed chaps on bikes behind you. And perhaps even @Adrian, as well....

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
@Mice Pretty much all the info you need is in the first post. Honest. Take a deep breath, or a nap if zzzzz is anything to go buy, read it.....and relax.

OP
OP
swarm_catcher
Ride specific answers below (not to be mistaken for Ferry/Train logistics).

Meeting point? In Brussels the meeting point is La Chaloupe D'Or on the 'Grote Markt' (Grand Place). Directions are in the image and gpx is attached.

Note the detour via Manneken Pis :smile:
You can shortcut into the 'Grote Markt' by walking, you'll be drawn into it.

GareMidiToGroteMarkt.png

Depart from somewhere at a particular time!! 12 midnight or when everybody is present whichever comes first.

Stop in Ghent. Set fire to tramlines. Stop will be 8km before Gent, friends of the family are putting up a middle of the night stop for us. They have asked what we'd like to eat and how they like to cook and bake. My initial reply was: 'as flemish as possible'. Hope you'll agree :smile:.

Coffee in Bruges. Possibly, see how time goes. BalkanExpress would love to show off Brugge and do a mini tour. Going through Brugge when the streets are empty is a treat! Can't wait myself. It might be an incentive to get going along the canals all else (mechanicals/weather) being equal.

Ostend for Breakfast. Definitely, either Vismijn Kanteen or Patisserie on the other side of the port. De Vismijn Kanteen is an unknown, looks like it might serve beer at all times but TBC (for those who are interested), and I've been told not to go there on my own. Well....

Again, the ride is not Friday but SATURDAY 3rd May, arrive in Oostende on the Sunday morning. It's the weekend of the first May Bank Holiday.

Attachments

• Gare Du Midi to Grand'place.GPX
    17.1 KB · Views: 113
Top Bottom