Foam for a Peli case.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've got a 1610 Peli Case which I'm looking to get some foam inserts for so that I can hold a telescope in it.

The original Pelican insert set is available for the princely sum of £113, so being a tight arse I've searched for alternatives.

Searches along the lines of -

Pick and pluck foam

Foam inserts

Hard case foam inserts

Etc etc etc....

... bring up a lot of companies that sell the stuff in various sizes, but I reckon that it's going to cost at least £50 to get enough of the stuff, which I'm then going to have to bodge to fit.

How can foam be so expensive?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It’s ridiculous what they charge for foam.

I’ve had a look on ebay and found this for just under £40 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384188141252?epid=1945267603&hash=item597365cec4:g:yyAAAOSw7NNUBF-S

Says it’s original and sealed but who knows?

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
It’s ridiculous what they charge for foam.

I’ve had a look on ebay and found this for just under £40 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384188141252?epid=1945267603&hash=item597365cec4:g:yyAAAOSw7NNUBF-S

Says it’s original and sealed but who knows?

Thanks GC.

That seller's own website is one I found a few days ago, they charge a lot more than that on their own site though.

Considering how much PayPal is loaded in favour of the buyer I'm tempted to have a gamble.

classic33

Leg End Member
Tip, if you go down the block of foam route.

The main block of the foam should be at least an 11/2" thinner on either side than the internal size of the case. The extra will be made up of a sheet of foam on either side.

MandS foam have been in existence under a variety of names and ownerships for well over 60 years. What they don't know about foam isn't worth knowing.
And they are right next to a motorway junction.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
What sort of size do you need? I have some black dense 'foam' 20mm thick.

bruce1530

Guru
I chucked loads of it out a week ago! Sorry... I work in IT, and it was packaging used for shipping some expensive stuff.... had been in the store for ages.

You really want "dense foam" rather than the stuff used for upholstery. Maybe try places that manufacture flight cases?

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Top Bottom