Focus Mares AX 105 Disc 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Anyone run one of these or similar? Any comments on them please?

Will be treating myself to a new bike this year and would like another CX albeit with discs instead of my current mini-v's.

This bike has TRP HY/RD which seem to get good reviews. Any comments even if you don't have this bike running them?

Plus the geometry is very similar to my current Giant TCX which suits me fine.

I like the funky colour scheme and not bothered if anyone else doesn't. :smile:

MARES_AX_105_22G_-2016.png

outlash

also available in orange
Similar paint job to the spesh crux which looks great in the flesh, no reason why this wouldn't be the same :smile:.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Focus bikes seem to be heading the way with disc brake technology.
I do like their bikes and I do like that colour scheme.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The manager of my local bike shop told me there are now roadie groupsets which are full hydraulic.

The TRP cable/hydraulic brakes work well, but it seems to me inevitable full hydraulics for road bikes will become common sooner rather than later.

Depends on your desire to have the latest thing, but I might be a bit miffed if I bought the Focus and they put full hydraulics on it for the next model year.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

The manager of my local bike shop told me there are now roadie groupsets which are full hydraulic.

The TRP cable/hydraulic brakes work well, but it seems to me inevitable full hydraulics for road bikes will become common sooner rather than later.

Depends on your desire to have the latest thing, but I might be a bit miffed if I bought the Focus and they put full hydraulics on it for the next model year.

Yes - was having similar thoughts re full hydraulics. No rush to buy so I can wait and see what 2017 range looks like from all the mainstream manufacturers.

For £1399 & £1099 with full hydraulics these look seriously competitive on price esp' the red at £1099 (which also comes with 36 x 32 which I think exactly matches my current 34 x30 so no faffing with changing anything on that front).

http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/road-race/cross-race/cube-cross-race-sl-greynflashorange-2016/

http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/road-race/cross-race/cube-cross-race-pro-rednblack-2016/

I had a Mares AX about 4 years ago, (non-disk), and it was a great bike.

It handled great a took everything I threw at it.

My only regret was.................selling it:cry:

I'd have another one tomorrow, just not in that colour TBH, horses for courses and all that ;)

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

I think @mythste had a Focus CX and got rid pretty quick?

The Cubes look great value, though I don't like the grey colour scheme.

Ti frame + full Hydro brakes could be an option if you can stretch the budget a bit? http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/cyclocross-bikes/on-one-pickenflick
Or this looks great in the metal plastic if you're after fun over utility and could get on with the new 1 chainring set-up
http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/gravel-adventure-bikes/on-one-bish-bash-bosh

@EasyPeez

Thanks for your reply.

I'd prefer to buy local in case of any issues with the bike - this limits me to Giant/Cube/Focus/Spesh/'dale/Genesis/Whyte plus anything else not in the list that Evans supplies.

Budget not an issue although I don't really want to pay more than £1500 as there is no value for me to pay more. Not fussed about frame material - on a chubby tyred CX the suspension is all in the rubber anyway. I run 32's or 35's and have no plans to change that.

1X doesn't work for me - I run 46/34 & 12-30 at the moment and if anything I could do with going even lower for the hills.

42 x11 is the same as 46 x 12 but 42 x 36 is a bit tougher than 34 x 30which is the wrong way to go for me.

mythste

Veteran
Hi there!

Yeah, as mentioned, I had the AX for about 6 months. Nothing wrong with it in the slightest, could have done with better brakes but as the one you're looking at comes with HyRd (incidently, the brakes I'm now running!) I'm sure you'll love it.

There were two main reasons I got rid of mine. Firstly, As my first "proper" bike I think I got the sizing a bit wrong. It was too small for me. Secondly, I spotted a mega bargain on my new Genesis which had £500 off! Couldnt justify both! As a minor niggle I did feel that the concept finishing kit left a little to be desired.

Also, I personally love the colour scheme!

HyRd (incidently, the brakes I'm now running!

What are your opinions on those @mythste ? I'm in the market for a brake upgrade on my CX (crap BB5s at present). Am weighing up whether to buy HyRds for the road bike and hand down my TRP Spyres (currently on my road bike and very happy with them) to the CX, or just buy a second set of Spyres for the CX.
I've read that the HyRds have quite a long lever travel?

Wafer

Veteran
Have chatted to LBS staff a couple of times about HyRds. A while ago they were recommending Spyres over them but reckon they've since discovered that the HyRds need a bit of topping up a little while after being fit, then are fine.
Hopefully picking up a bike with them next week so will see if they're right!

Have chatted to LBS staff a couple of times about HyRds. A while ago they were recommending Spyres over them but reckon they've since discovered that the HyRds need a bit of topping up a little while after being fit, then are fine.
Hopefully picking up a bike with them next week so will see if they're right!
Is the topping up a simple thing you can do at home?
Let us know how you get on with them :smile:

mythste

Veteran
What are your opinions on those @mythste ? I'm in the market for a brake upgrade on my CX (crap BB5s at present). Am weighing up whether to buy HyRds for the road bike and hand down my TRP Spyres (currently on my road bike and very happy with them) to the CX, or just buy a second set of Spyres for the CX.
I've read that the HyRds have quite a long lever travel?

I would have given them 100% apart from the fact that last week the rear completely ate a brake pad, ripping the retaining clip out and causing me to have a near heart attack! :laugh:

There is certainly more travel in the brake lever before the biting point which I'm quite fond of as I'm mainly commuting and scrubbing off speed gently with modulation is easier this way. I could see why that would be a negative point for some however.

I think some are worried that you need to pull the lever loads to get any braking at all, which is simply not true in my experience.

Top Bottom