"Fold and Carry" on Rail Stations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
IME, the bike is better wheeled through a station - it's easier to keep is out of people's way, odd as that sounds, as it's not dead weight in one hand. I've not had problems with it being in the way at Crewe or Manchester Picadilly, personally.

I've seen a Brompton unfolded on a train once, it had been lent to someone while his car was being fixed - the poor chap was terrified that he wouldn't remember how to unfold it again safely, so left it rideable on the train!

LOGAN 5

jonesy said:
Bikes are dirtier and oiler than suitcases and have more things sticking out of them for people to snag their clothes on, or catch their fingers in and hurt themselves. Oh, and a bike propped in a vestubule or against a door is far more likely to collapse awkwardly and unfold than a suitcase. Also, at peak commuting times then bikes are actually quite a high proportion of 'luggage', as commuters don't usually carry large suitcases.

My commuter train is packed with luggage particularly in the evening rush hour as it passes several main line rail connections to other parts of London and an airport. We also naturally get business people with suitcases who are commuting home from a business trip as well as holiday makers, family day trippers etc with luggage and prams on commuter services. We all pay for the service and should share the space equally and responsibly.

The rail companies successfully got rid of most of their cycle commuters when they introduced the full sized bike ban in 2006. So there are far fewer bikes (now only folding ones of course) on the trains. So on my commute at least cycles are far outnumbered by the suitcases and push chairs. Bikes in vestibules (folded) are probably there because there's no room on the racks or the racks are too small and there's not a sensible alternative if one hasn't managed to get to the only two carriages with the cycle facility (two bikes max storage) or it's full.

StuartG

slower but further
Disclaimer: I travel off peak in London. I never fold my brommie unless the train is crowded. It causes less inconvenience all round. Perhaps if I could afford a composite model or I was seeking to recapture my Mr Universe title I would do differently.

Top Bottom