Folding bike accessories.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I've just become the proud owner of a Hoptown 5.

Just wondering if you guys could recomend some accessories? I'm thinking on particular of bags that will fit on the yet to be fitted pannier rack and a big loos bag to put it in that folds smaall enouh to be carried in my handbag? The Hoptown came with a carry bag but its a big massive thing, I'm thinking more of something to slip it into to stop bus drivers moaning!

robgul

Legendary Member
I've just made (well, a friend with a sewing machine has) a lightweight cover from rip-stop nylon for my folder (Dahon built Dawes*) - image a large shower cap (i.e. bag with an elasticated edge) that drops over and round the folded machine ... you pick it up by holding one of the frame tubes through the fabric. It keeps any muck off my clothes, or seats/luggage areas on trains or buses ... yet is light enough to screw up small enough to go in a very small under-saddle pouch.

* machine is similar to the Hoptown ... I looked at that but got a better deal with my almost new folder. The Dawes came with a heavy duty carry-bag, but that almost needs its own pannier to carry it!

Rob

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I've just made (well, a friend with a sewing machine has) a lightweight cover from rip-stop nylon for my folder (Dahon built Dawes*) - image a large shower cap (i.e. bag with an elasticated edge) that drops over and round the folded machine ... you pick it up by holding one of the frame tubes through the fabric. It keeps any muck off my clothes, or seats/luggage areas on trains or buses ... yet is light enough to screw up small enough to go in a very small under-saddle pouch.

* machine is similar to the Hoptown ... I looked at that but got a better deal with my almost new folder. The Dawes came with a heavy duty carry-bag, but that almost needs its own pannier to carry it!

Rob
Thats the kind of thing I'm after - the bag that came with the hoptown is nearly as big as the bike folded!

robgul

Legendary Member
The fabric cost about £3 a metre from www.ukfabricsonline.com - I bought a couple of metres of the black ripstop stuff - my friend ran it up on her sewing machine in return for a drink at the pub on the club run last week.

The other thing I have with my folder is a short strap to "keep it folded" (it's about 15" long, goes through both wheels - and stores in the pouch with the cover) . IIRC the Hoptown, like my Dawes, doesn't lock together when folded?

Rob

Top Bottom