Folding bike modification questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reppans

I'm looking to access some of the tow paths around London's canals and rivers. The best/furthest reaches do rely on grass, sand and gravel footpaths. Also similar further out in surrounding counties, in forest paths, farm drives etc. I don't want to be just confined to tarmac. I just feel the 16" wheel don't really cut it.

Yeah the Brompton narrower 16" do OK on hard pack, but Big Apple 20" has the advantage as the ground gets softer/looser/bumpier.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yeah the Brompton narrower 16" do OK on hard pack, but Big Apple 20" has the advantage as the ground gets softer/looser/bumpier.
I find on softer looser surfaces tyre pressures rather profile are more relevant.

Kell

Veteran
I recently went from Knightsbridge to Hayes and the cycle route on my phone kept forcing me onto the canal towpath.

At first it was OK, but once the paved bit ran out, the bumpy, tree rooted, muddy ground was less than ideal. think the journey was around 17 miles, and about 7 of it was on grass/hard mud. I certainly wouldn't want to repeat it in a hurry.

The small wheels don't roll as well over bumps and the lack of front suspension meant it's hard on the hands. As it happens, I've replaced my rear suspension block with a much, much firmer one, so that didn't help either...

But if canal paths are part of your intended routes, then I'd rule out a Brompton from my own experience.

reppans

I find on softer looser surfaces tyre pressures rather profile are more relevant.

Maybe, but tyre profile also tends to define recommended pressures. I certainly won't run my Brommie as low pressure as my Big Apple'd Dahon due to risks of denting a rim.

wallarts

I have mariner d8, i was looking for a basket but i couldn't find anything.
you have to use original accesories.
so i think folding bikes are not good for modification.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I have mariner d8, i was looking for a basket but i couldn't find anything.
you have to use original accesories.
so i think folding bikes are not good for modification.
Well, yes and no.
I've yet to find a luggage system that I prefer to the Brompton one, although I've seen all sorts of ingenious arrangements.
The Bromptons just that way^^ are utterly gorgeous.
I modded my M6R into a M12R by throwing a compact chainset on. The lowest gears are only useful in mountains.
Really, anything can be modded. Whether it's worth doing is a personal decision.
I'd never fit carbon bits to a Brompton, but I admire the skill and perseverance of those who have.

However, in terms of the OP, it's better to get the right bike in the first place, as things like disk brakes are tricky as a retrofit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom