Folding Cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
Stopped my regular cycling a while ago, due to laziness and complacency on the car, and the fact a lot of my money goes to the car so.. might as well 'get into' it, but the fact remains I run an old car, cant afford a new one for a long time and really should be keeping fit and having a healthier hobby! For me, and my wallet.. not that cycling is 'cheap' but I think if one chooses to get by on the basics its possible.

I'm in the folding section because I had a great idea, that if I had a folding bike I could always keep it in the boot of the car, then whenever I feel it's so easy to go for a quick ride around my surroundings!

I know I can get a bike carrier, and if I don't decide to get a folder it's my only choice, but they're so awkward to fit, tighten, and even then I focus way too much on the bike not falling off rather than the road which cannot be a good thing. Even the £200+ cycle carriers are a bit of a joke like the cheap eBay ones because they're always quite fiddly.

My biggest concern isn't that with the bike, but more of me.. I feel too embarrassed to be seen on a folding bike. They're so unusual, and that's the honest truth. I don't mean to be rude or insult anyone, and I consider myself someone who doesn't care a less but I feel there's a barrier between me and the folding bicycle!?

Any pointers?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There is nothing wrong with folding bikes. In fact they are becoming more popular with people because they are easy to take with you in a car, and don't take up a lot of space, if you live in a flat. And of course you can take them on the bus and on trains ( there are some exceptions ). And of course if you ride them to work, quite often you can keep them inside with you.

In many ways they are ideal for some people. They are not unusual bikes anymore. And there is a folder to suit everyone's pocket. I have one and I am about to get another one.

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

There is nothing wrong with folding bikes. In fact they are becoming more popular with people because they are easy to take with you in a car, and don't take up a lot of space, if you live in a flat. And of course you can take them on the bus and on trains ( there are some exceptions ). And of course if you ride them to work, quite often you can keep them inside with you.

In many ways they are ideal for some people. They are not unusual bikes anymore. And there is a folder to suit everyone's pocket. I have one and I am about to get another one.

Here in N. Ireland I've seen an increasing number of cyclists, but never folders in the flesh.

I'm considering my next bike being one, the Bromptons are quite pricey but they seem to be a bit like a well engineered bit of kit too, I really like them but the whole look of me on one is what scares me!

welsh dragon

Here in N. Ireland I've seen an increasing number of cyclists, but never folders in the flesh.

I'm considering my next bike being one, the Bromptons are quite pricey but they seem to be a bit like a well engineered bit of kit too, I really like them but the whole look of me on one is what scares me!

:laugh: just try one out. You might be surprised. Why can't you see yourself on one?

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

:laugh: just try one out. You might be surprised. Why can't you see yourself on one?

I just think I'd look rare on it / the posture / bike itself is quite funny looking - in the eyes of most, I know it's rediculous but that's the honest reason.

Is there like any words of wisdom that can help me get over the fear of being seen on a folder?!

welsh dragon

I just think I'd look rare on it / the posture / bike itself is quite funny looking - in the eyes of most, I know it's rediculous but that's the honest reason.

Is there like any words of wisdom that can help me get over the fear of being seen on a folder?!

Errrr. Mmmmmm. That's a no. Just go for it. You might have a blast on one. And sod what anyone else thinks.

Diggs

Veteran
I can confirm that you look super cool on a folder

freecycle.JPG

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Unusual? Crikey. Pay a trip to London. Long gone are the days when people would stop me at traffic lights to ask me about my Brompton because it was a novelty.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Do you ride in lycra at any time?

90% of people think you look stupid just because you ride a bike anyway, only you will think you look especially stupid because it is such a versatile and entertaining one.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Yeah. Maybe ....
I think folders are to cycling what Vespas and Lambrettas are to motorcycles. They're not as fast, but they're very utilitarian and there's not much that you can't do on one except go very fast.
I currently have 10 bicycles. I got a s/h Brompton over a year ago to be able to take it on planes (I fly a lot for work), my other bikes are pretty serious road machines plus a few 'fun bikes' like my old folding BSA shopper. But here's the thing, the more I rode the Brompton, the more I kept using it. It is very useful. It's fast enough, it's transportable, you can carry a lot of stuff on it, it can be ridden by anyone, it's brilliantly nippy in the city and fine and comfortable for 100 milers on the open road.

I've just toured the outer Hebrides with Camping kit on mine and it's great. A very stable beast of burden. More so than a regular tourer. I can fit it into my tent/dorm in hostels, carry it into pubs, put it in the shopping trolley at the supermarket. Never carry a lock. Trains/buses/coaches easy -peasy. And it's fun to ride, it makes you feel like a kid again. People stop and ask about it, how it folds, isn't it hard work on little wheels .... no it isn't! You can let them try it And it's customisable and modifiable in all kinds of interesting ways.

It's not my most expensive bike, but if the garage was on fire it's the first bike I'd save.

Windsor Sportive: I wasn't the only one ....

IMG_4042.JPG

Outer Hebrides:

28481587061_dec7a227a7_z.jpg

IMG_4517.JPG

London Brompton Club Oxford to London ....

11393472_487517964739551_75144088218732295_o.jpg

But it's not all Brompton, we've done London to Brighton and club runs on these!

IMG_4308.JPG

Don't be shy of folders .... they're fab!

Top Bottom