Folding Cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Do you reckon you could do that?
I doubt they'd be happy on the 0715 to Dusseldorf rocking-up with a B (unless in Business class). Also, you have to haul the thing through the airport; Security, Duty Free, changed gates, air-bridge. I just put mine in it's wheely-suitcase and check it.

The Brompton Mafia see it as a challenge!

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
Okay guys, I really want one. Next barrier.. the cost. Maybe next year I'll buy myself one.

There's some deadly roads to avoid here, last night I drove my Halfords cheap commuter a bit down past these roads with it in my Fiat Panda, front wheel off..

Then a beautiful evening cycling around, but it got dark and I was stuck but had to cycle back to the car. First time I cycled at night, beautiful feeling and so quiet compared to the day.

The only thing I was a bit weary was I had the car in a picnic stop with lots of trees, which apparently isn't lit up at night (didn't know until I returned). Thankfully it was quiet and safe, and I got the bike wheel off and in the car.

Can't help but feel throwing the Brompton in would be much handier as I wouldn't have to fold the seats down!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Or just wait for the bus.....

View attachment 140501
Or the Ferry ....

IMG_4608.JPG

Or the train ....

IMG_1988.JPG

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Have posted this before. Here is Chutney, my Dahon, with first owner Henrik. At the summit of the Tourmalet....
DSC03131.JPG

I've done multiple centuries on her, longest ride 141 miles, it's been touring in Belgium, and though the fold is rather larger than a Brompton, it'll still get on any train. Last ridden this morning, having done the FNRttC to Whitstable Friday night then on gig transport duties in the smoke on Saturday night. It's a road bike, and a very capable one. Just happens to have 406 wheels and a couple of hinges.....

Kell

Veteran
I'm with you on the whole 'I don't know if it's me' thing with Bromptons.

Seven or eight years ago when I got my first folder, I looked at them, but they were very 'Cycle clips and hi viz sash' to me. By that i mean that everytime I saw someone on one, they had a tweed suit on, pedalled slowly and very upright and looked very old-fashioned.

By contrast, the Dahons of the time were sleek and sporty-looking, so I took one of those out for a test-ride and it was about a solid as cooked spaghetti. When I took it back to the shop, I was told that all small-wheeld folders are like that because of the long seat tupe and stem. I didn't think any more about a Brompton, but got a full size folding Dahon (i.e. 26" wheels).

Unfortunately, the frame cracked and I junked it. But I liked it, so I bought another. Same thing happened.

In the end, I tried a Brompton and it's been a revelation. I've had mine just over a year now and it's far better for me than the full-sized one as I can use it more often. I've done about 2,500 miles on mine over the cause of that year and according to Strava, I'm as fast if not faster on the Brompton than I was on a full size bike.

I wouldn't go back now that I've had one, but I understand the mental block you're facing.

stearman65

I'm with you on the whole 'I don't know if it's me' thing with Bromptons.

Seven or eight years ago when I got my first folder, I looked at them, but they were very 'Cycle clips and hi viz sash' to me. By that i mean that everytime I saw someone on one, they had a tweed suit on, pedalled slowly and very upright and looked very old-fashioned.

By contrast, the Dahons of the time were sleek and sporty-looking, so I took one of those out for a test-ride and it was about a solid as cooked spaghetti. When I took it back to the shop, I was told that all small-wheeld folders are like that because of the long seat tupe and stem. I didn't think any more about a Brompton, but got a full size folding Dahon (i.e. 26" wheels).

Unfortunately, the frame cracked and I junked it. But I liked it, so I bought another. Same thing happened.

In the end, I tried a Brompton and it's been a revelation. I've had mine just over a year now and it's far better for me than the full-sized one as I can use it more often. I've done about 2,500 miles on mine over the cause of that year and according to Strava, I'm as fast if not faster on the Brompton than I was on a full size bike.

I wouldn't go back now that I've had one, but I understand the mental block you're facing.
Read a lot recently about frame cracks on Dahon folders, usually aluminium!!!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Henrik's first frame cracked there too- that was a steel one though. Replaced with the 2010 aluminium one. Which is still doing just fine.

Top Bottom