Folding/Wired Tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Off the bike the folding ones are easier to carry even if you know the knack of folding wired ones.

On the bike (I have both) there doesn't appear to be any difference.

e-rider

crappy member
Folding are much better because: they are lighter, you can fold them, and most importantly, usually the side wall contains kevlar or a simialr material making them stronger and more resistant to wear and punctures.

yello

A big pro for a folder is that it can be more easily carried on the bike. That's only really a consideration for big rides and touring. Like touche, I can't say I've noticed a difference in handling/durability of wired over folding. Imo, pays your money and takes your choice.

redddraggon

Blondie
tundragumski said:
most importantly, usually the side wall contains kevlar or a simialr material making them stronger and more resistant to wear and punctures.

The material used for the bead, either steel or kevlar, is irrelevant to the sidewall strength. Gatorskins seems to have the same construction whether they are the steel or kevlar beaded variant.

TBH I see no point in getting steel beaded tyres these days, the kevlars beaded one are rarely more expensive and are lighter.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks for the replies.Is there any difference in the ease of getting them on and off the rims?

redddraggon

Blondie
Banjo said:
Thanks for the replies.Is there any difference in the ease of getting them on and off the rims?

Kevlar is probably slightly easy as they are more maleable, but if they are going to be a b!tch to fit, it's going to be hard whatever the bead.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Folding are easier to fit, and most importantly lighter.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you're getting your Wiggle order delivered to work, folding tyres are a damn sight easier to carry home!!!
[/voice of experience]

Other than that, foldy tyres are a bit lighter and a bit pricier, like-for-like. I've never found a difference in ease of fitting, although I accept that some do.

Top Bottom