Foldup Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've seen a few people recently with Brompton type bikes; I'd genuinely like to know the rationale for buying such machines. Is it just for the fact that they are portable ?

Are women the main purchasers of such machines ? They look like something that a teenager girl might ride.

Are they purely for urban use or are they good all-purpose machines ?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
They are a surprisingly capable bike.

The main reason people buy them is indeed portability. Most train and tube services ban full-size bikes in the commuting times, while Bromptons are (a) allowed and (xx( practical on busy services.

For rides of up to five miles or so, I would say they are really not much slower than a conventional bike. Small wheels = rapid acceleration, and quick-steering = work through gaps that would defeat larger bikes.

Women main purchasers? No, I'd say about 90% men.

Ben

Arch

Married to Night Train
If you want a bike that folds, no bike folds better than a Brompton. Unless you count the A-bike, which I don't because it's an over grown roller skate.

It's also very capable, as Ben says. I know someone who travels all over the country on his, and another couple who went up Mt Ventoux on theirs. Plenty of owners tour or do day rides on them - they have the advantage of being easy to bung on public transport if you have a problem, or the weather turns awful, or you just don't have the time to cycle a whole route...

I'd say also mostly male owners, purely on the basis of personal observation - here in York, perhaps the same proportion male to female owners as on any sort of bike...

I'll have one, one day, when I have the spare cash.

Sig SilverPrinter

Well i am female and had my brompton for 9yrs.

Bought because I couldn't stand the bus train tube commute.
Now its cycle train cycle much better and less stressful for me.

Oh and I haven't been a teenager for many a year!

My friend got a dahon a few months ago to cycle the 2 miles or so to work, she is a regular gym goer but hasn't really cycled since she was a teenager (now in her forties), and even then not much or regularly. Dragged her out on the bike yesterday and she managed over 50 miles on her ickle wheels - at some points going at 20miles per hour on the flat! Quite impressive as far as I'm concerned!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
lastpubrunner said:
They look like something that a teenager girl might ride.

Just out of interest, why do you say this? I'm intrigued, because it's not a thought that has ever, ever occurred to me. Most teenage girls I see are either on a cheap MTB Halfords type bike, chosen with no care at all, but just a bike, innit (just like their male counterparts), or perhaps a ladies frame hybrid, or on well chosen bikes of whatever sort is appropriate, implying decent cycling knowledge and purpose. I can't say I'd suggest one specific sort of bike I'd say was "something that a teenager girl might ride"...

ChrisKH

Guru
Sig SilverPrinter said:
Well i am female and had my brompton for 9yrs.

Bought because I couldn't stand the bus train tube commute.
Now its cycle train cycle much better and less stressful for me.

Oh and I haven't been a teenager for many a year!

Ditto. And I'm a 6' bloke who shaves every day. It's not a girls bike either.

rootes

I use my Brompton everyday to get to work and for business use (meetings get to site etc) works well on longer journeys when using the train..

plus it has other benefits - liek you can fold it up and store under your desk which is safer than locking it up in the street..

when you pop into a shop/supermarket I fold and take it in with me

though i'm 6' 5" tall and I must look a bit odd on it.. but have done holborn to waterloo in under 5mins - you can get places quick - choice really look like a dork and get there quick or look cool and take ages on the tube/walk

the fro london / south east the 2speed flat bars one is best and you can still fit SPD pedals etc..

Arch

Married to Night Train
I know a plus 6 footer who rides a Brom and I wouldn't say he looks like a dork. In fact since he's faster and stronger on a bike than most people, he's not around long enough for most people to form an opinion...

rootes

Arch said:
I know a plus 6 footer who rides a Brom and I wouldn't say he looks like a dork. In fact since he's faster and stronger on a bike than most people, he's not around long enough for most people to form an opinion...

I post a picture of my lanky 6' 5" skeleton on my brommie and you see what you think! :biggrin:

but seriously brommies are very cool and a useful tool... only think i dod find is that they have good quality frames but the components are poor...

also braking from high speed and little dia rims wears things out quick as so sprockets etc.. plus control cables from folding..

on average mine is folded /unfolded 8 times a day..

We have friends coming down in August, the two girls are 14 and 13

The first thing they do is dive for the Bromptons - they love them and are out all day, yet their parents can't get them to cycle at home on the mountain bikes they own.

Top Bottom