1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

follow me tandem thing

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Mister Paul, 4 Sep 2007.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

There's a letter in this month's C+ from a mom raving about this-

http://www.followme-tandem.com/english/index.htm

Has anyone ever seen one? If it's as good as she claims it's a good way of getting around with two children-you can attach this and still have a rear-mounted child seat.

I had a quick look around the site last night and there doesn't seem to be a UK dealer. I tried to find out costs by looking at European sites, but didn't do too well.

Does anyone know of a supplier over here?

2. chris42

chris42 New Member

Don't know about that one but we just got a Trek 'tag along bike for my 4 year old and he loved his first ride on Sunday.
    At first it does feel strange to me (the rider) but after a couple of miles it's really good.
    It cost £98.00 with LBS discount and it's money well spent!

3. That looks like a very sorted product, leagues better than the 'Giraffe' tandemiser. Id be really interested in buying one or two for our fleet.

4. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

seen them a fair bit and they look sensible

5. Seen em where Tynan?

They werent @ the Freidrichstafen show BTW.

6. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

That's the point.

Does anyone here fancy being the UK distributor?

7. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

apologies, I assumed this was about those standard seat and a wheel attachments

my bad

8. atters88

atters88 New Member

The Follow Me Tandem device is available from Velorution, a great bike shop in Great Titchfield St in London. seewww.velorution.biz

It looked pretty effective but is a bit pricey (about £140 I think) and adds weight to the adult bike when not in use unless you remove it which takes a ew minutes. I didn't buy one becasue it wouldn't fit my bike which has a Sram hub gear.

I'm still undecided as to what to buy instead. The Burley Piccolo looks good but costs £300+!!

9. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

10. NickM

NickM Über Member

My partner's daughter (not an experienced cyclist) and grandson have an Islabike trailerbike, and it works very well and is much loved :blush:

In particular, it attaches and detaches instantly, and handles better than similar devices which attach to the towing bike's seatpin.

11. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

It looks like a deathtrap.
    What if you're taking a bend quite fast downhill? The child on the back could easily jacknife.
    what if the child on the rear bike tries to steer? It could upset the balance of the whole thing tipping it over, sending everyone on the front bike flying into a river.
    What if the child on the back detaches themself and inadvertently rides the wrong way or crashes and you ride for miles before noticing they're not there?
    I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. If you want your kids to cycle, there's only one method. Get them a bike, get them learnt how to ride it, and get them riding along in front of you. No fancy metal attachments will replace that. This thing is obviously the brainchild of some bored person who can't think what to do with himself since being made redundant.
    But presumably you'll decide that it's ok becaue it's been theoretically proven to be in some lab :blush:

12. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Oh do be quiet Bonj.

13. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

if you've already bought one i strongly urge you to take it back.

14. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I suggest the same with your brain....:blush:

15. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

What about those pushchairs Bonj? Lethal things. Throw one off a pier with a toddler strapped in and it's curtains.

I don't trust them.