Following car could influence TT times.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
This only matters in pro racing, and as everyone in contention has a car following, no advantage is gained. Plus, who can enforce 30 metres - even 10 metres is a challenge for the commissaires, I think, and there is not a commisssaire in every car all the time. Nice bit of research, but of little consequence. What happens in crosswinds, and I've never ridden a TT in still air, never mind corners, climbs, descents. perhaps UK testers should do some research about how traffic flow on their beloved "fast" (or dodgy)courses affects their performance? I can't see CTT wanting to do that. The only "race of truth" TT is on a closed road.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
The only "race of truth" TT is on a closed road.
Yes, very true, but even then it's not always a level playing field.
A few years ago I did a TT where I got a much better time than a friend of mine (notice I didn't say beat because he rode hours later than me) because the wind had got up and slowed the later riders down, there is no way I would beat him in a side by side, flat out race.
You could argue that there is no real way of doing a truly equal TT style ride outside in the elements where wind can come into play.
But it's the best we have and it's just the way it is. I can't see there's a way to change it and make it any more a level playing field than it is now.
It's a well known fact that lots of traffic "chops the still air up" making for a faster ride.

Top Bottom