Folly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
mark barker said:
I don't get the anti jeans thing... I've never had an issue with rubbing whilst riding in jeans, and the only time they've every caused a problem is when I've been caught in very heavy rain because they take forever to dry.

+1. I've only just recently bought "proper" cycling trousers and shorts. Never had a comfort problem with jeans, until, as you say, I get caught out in the rain.

As for the Endura shorts I bought....... a nightmare!!! They have a stitched in crease that comes to a point across the top of the thigh, just below the level that my lycra shorts come to; after about 20 miles the crease rubs your thigh red raw :smile:. Genius bit of design :thumbsup:, and it cost £50 to find out that I would have been better off in jeans.

OP
OP
redddraggon

redddraggon

Blondie
I can ride upto around 3miles in jeans, and then they start rubbing and the waist band digs in.

I suppose it depends on the fit of your bike, if you have an "old mans bike fit" or you ride a hybrid you could probably ride jeans more readily than if you have a aggressive geometry road bike fit with loads of saddle to bar drop - I have around 12cm and I'm on what's roughly equivalent to a 52cm bike, and is quite a lot for my height.

I can't really wear jeans in the summer off the bike because they are far too warm, so there's no way I could wear them for a long bike ride.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I ride in jean shorts or combat shorts sometimes, doesn't bother me, but it gets a bit sweaty after a fair distance.

Lycra is good for longer distance and definitely helps with speeds above 20. But jeans are fine for 10 to 25 miles for me.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ordinary jeans or trousers of any sort just aren't cut for cycling; I find that they strangle my bollocks and thighs. I can only assume that MTBers manage in loose shorts because they are very loose and lightweight but they must be horrible in the wet.

I go to uni in jeans quite often (5 and a bit miles) and have no problem for that short distance, whenever I've bought jeans though I've went for a loose fit, that probably helps. I also carry a pair of montane featherlite trousers which do for inclement weather in that short distance. I've never actually got any uncomfort in jeans but the furthest I've ever cycled in them was 8 miles to the pub (a few weeks ago) in a Scottish summer evening and 8 miles back after dark. Its just automatic if I'm going further I choose lycra.

OP
OP
redddraggon

redddraggon

Blondie
Right then I've booked my trains.

We arrive in Carlisle at around 9.30 and I've booked my return to Manchester from Newcastle at around 1850. So that gives us 9hrs20mins to do the 75ish miles. That's a 8mph Average if ride every minute.

I guess at around the 1430 to 1500 sort of time I'll have to make an executive decision as to whether I stick with him or shoot off to catch the train.

He made an error when booking his tickets, and his train from Newcastle to Manchester is at 10pm on the Sunday night, so he has plenty of time to get to Newcastle :thumbsup:

OP
OP
redddraggon

redddraggon

Blondie
Well we went. The first four hours were spent in pretty much pouring rain. He had massively underestimated what riding 75 miles was like, and he was shattered after he had ridden 10miles. He spent 90% of the time in his biggest gear - everytime we hit a bit of bump rather than change gear he got off and started walking :dry:. I tried to educate him on the use of gears, but the best I could do was get him to change at the front, he didn't want to change at the back though, leading to a few thrown chains.

He thought the route was "flat", he was surprised about the number of hills.

I had to leave him at around 1330 so I could get my train - I arrived in Newcastle at around 5pm after getting a bit lost in Newcastle - my planned route didn't seem to match up too with the route on the ground:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/39932069

I was looking forward to the flat bit at the end, thought I would be able to make up quite a bit of time. Alas no, the cyclepath was infested with dog walkers and people riding bikes far too slow and I seem to spend most of my time freewheeling which I was rather annoyed about.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I was looking forward to the flat bit at the end, thought I would be able to make up quite a bit of time. Alas no, the cyclepath was infested with dog walkers and people riding bikes far too slow and I seem to spend most of my time freewheeling which I was rather annoyed about.

Too slow for you perhaps, but presumably at a speed that was fine for them...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well done for supporting a mate - have you heard from him after he finished? I can ride upto about 20 or 30 miles in jeans but only certain ones and only in the cooler months of the year.

Do you think this will kill or ignite his interest in cycling?

OP
OP
redddraggon

redddraggon

Blondie
Too slow for you perhaps, but presumably at a speed that was fine for them...

Obviously. After yesterday's debacle though, I'm not sure a fan of these shared facilities. The best parts of NCN 72 were the quiet on-road bits. I just can't spend 75% of my time free wheeling down a flat road, especially when I've been on the bike for 5 or so hours, I start cramping up really bad - I have to keep the cranks ticking over. I just guess it was a bit naive of me to plot a route along a NCN route to cycle along.

Well done for supporting a mate - have you heard from him after he finished? I can ride upto about 20 or 30 miles in jeans but only certain ones and only in the cooler months of the year.

He got to Newcastle around 8pm. After getting a bit lost and taking the main road to Newcastle. To be fair I got a bit lost too and I had my route plotted out on my 705, but for some reason the route I planned didn't match up with the route on the ground.

Do you think this will kill or ignite his interest in cycling?

Well I'm quite impressed with what he managed yesterday, 75 or so miles with no real cycling background. He even got up this morning and cycled to visit the Angel of the North, which must be around a 20 mile journey? He said his "ass is on fire".

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
He did really well tbh. Adding that he was riding a BSO and at about 8mph in the rain! Thats some long hours in the saddlle xx( He is definatelly enthusiastic, maybe he will spring for a nicer bike and start cycling regularly. I bet he will be a really good distance rider if he had a better bike under him.

Back and neck are aching a bit after the ride this morning (my super aggresive setup isnt so nice over that distance :biggrin: may need some revision), the stopping and starting made the ride really long in terms of time, a bowl of porridge and 1 bottle in like 5 hours just wasnt enough for me because im accustommed to eating little and often, would have brought another bottle and some soreen if I knew we'd have been out so long, was struggling to keep up on way down past the MRI after the official ride was over, then your cheeky RLJ put you miles ahead and I couldnt be arsed to chase you down.

The guy on the steel bike, baggies and a bag with full size tools in it (did you see the size of that spanner he has, lmfao, probly weighed more than your bike) did well, shame he packed a couple of miles from the meeting point. I bet he had just had enough of the mechanicals and just felt embarrased! Anyone heard if the guy who had the off's shoulder was okay?

OP
OP
redddraggon

redddraggon

Blondie
Well the Ped crossing activated when there were no Peds about, :biggrin:.

Aye today was a bit longer than expected, my legs are dead now, and I think I'll sleep tonight.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Was a nice day out nontheless. Need to tweak my bike for the longer days though, and need to get the clipless switched over, my heels are real sore from those damn plimsoles, hah.

How many out of those out were newby's? Quite a few seemed like normal club members. I thought the guy with the giant spanner was a member actually, didnt realise it was his 1st ride out.

Top Bottom