Fonts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I often work in a terminal where being able to see the difference between "O" (the letter) and "0" (zero) is very important. The default font on this forum illustrates this problem!
This becomes a true pain when colleagues use shared passwords like SeaL10n5, and they are stored in a file where it displays exactly like SeaLionS.
Reeeeally stupid team password strategy, I used to tear my hair out ...

Sorry, that's a different issue!

figbat

Slippery scientist
good point. Whatever happened to putting a slash through a zero to differentiate it from O?
The whole reason for having a slashed 0 is for differentiation from a O where it is important. Same goes for the continental slashed 7 vs 1. This is probably more important in handwriting though than typing, where they are usually distinguishable.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
As a long standing designer for Print, Video, Animation, Web and App design, fonts have been integral to my work and my life for 30 years.
My Art College studies included detailed study on how type is used, its history and the terminology around it.
As each decade passes, new technologies are enabling fonts to be more accessible, or indeed without limits to websites and apps alike.

But as with everything, use fonts with care and caution - less is more.

My favourite font is Johnston, which was created for the London Underground map.

I'd hope that having shared passwords, and storing them in a file wasn't actually a "strategy" ... more just a way things had emerged because no one had given it any thought. But that's another subject.
Moving OT, I know, but I remember visiting an NHS establishment where the password was on a Post-It next to the terminal so all the staff could remember it...

My sisters first bf was a caligraphy and graphic artist who created fonts by hand.
Steve Jobs did a course in caligraphy at college and that is why they were so important in the Mac world. Remember that Apple users were using applications with proper black on white fonts whilst most pc applications were green or amber computer font on blue background.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I like fonts and typefaces, and graphic design in general. In many situations having a typeface that is easy to read is really important, especially to people who struggle with reading, are dyslexic, or for whom English is not their native language. It's much easier to see the shape of the word in certain fonts than in others.

I'm old enough to remember when you had to buy fonts if you wanted something snazzy. It was quite a thrill if the Computer Shopper free disc had a load of fonts on it.

Tribansman

Veteran
Now you are being serious, I've tweaked my Browser Plugin so that all your posts display in Fractur. I like to show respect where due.

Elsewhere:
"...
Today the Führer, talking with Herr Reichsleiter Amann and Book Publisher Adolf Müller, has decided that in the future the Antiqua script is to be described as normal script. All printed materials are to be gradually converted to this normal script. As soon as is feasible in terms of textbooks, only the normal script will be taught in village and state schools."
No need to be Nazti

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I share the view that Fonts/Founts are both important and interesting. They help convey identity and provide visual cues about something or convey character - maybe a Restaurant has an 'Italianate' Font that helps subliminally identify the place as Italian. @Ian H is correct in that the use of a specific font gives identity. They can also give clarity for example on road-signs that are as legible in daylight as they are when reflective at night. Some Fonts are designed to use very little print ink, therefore a cost saving over older types. Some are space-aving to allow more letter per line.
A Mutual friend of @matticus and I (Pete B) works in typography, book and dictionary layouts where legibility, space, printability is important. Some fonts work better on paper, others on screen. We have a corporate font, I find it less legible than others available so don't use it prefering Calibri, Arial or Gill Sans. I have a soft spot for Courier but it's very space heavy, but easy to read!
My daughter is also a graphic designer in product branding, where choice of typeface is critical to convey the brand identity.
I could become a Font geek, but don't have the time....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd hope that having shared passwords, and storing them in a file wasn't actually a "strategy" ... more just a way things had emerged because no one had given it any thought. But that's another subject.
I've clicked on 'Forgotten your password?' buttons on some websites and they then email the forgotten password to me!***

*** For those ignorant in such matters, that is VERY bad for 2 reasons...
  1. It shows that the website must be storing passwords in plain text form. If a hacker gets into their system then all passwords are sitting there ready to be grabbed.
  2. Normal email is also sent in plain text and vulnerable to interception by n'er-do-wells.
What should happen is that the website is unable to retrieve your password so instead you are sent a reset link with a short time limit on it. You click the link and quickly enter a replacement password.

Top Bottom