Foot and Mouth returns.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bigtallfatbloke said:
It's terrible...but how is making all the cows stand still going to help?

(I refer to the 100% ban on all livestock movement)

I was going to reply, but I'm now thinking you're being facetious? A smiley would help.

In case you're not, obviously, if you allow possibly infected animals to be moved all over the country, you're going to allow the infection to spread further afield than if you restrict animals to their home farm. With the ridiculous 'modern efficient' system of fattening and slaughter we have, animals get transported much further afield than they need to be, spreading germs as they go...

Elmer, no, it was Foot and Mouth led to the last big cull. As far as I know, BSE has never been so epidemic as F and M, but is actually more dangerous to 'us' because of the risk of CJD infection through meat. Humans very, very rarely get foot and mouth, and it's not fatal. In fact, it's not fatal for most animals, but they lose condition and productivity, making them uneconomic to farm.

I seem to remember last time, the only direct human fatality was due to some clown messing about with a humane killer gun...

If this IS down to a screwup at the lab nearby, I think it's a sad reflection on the general crapness of this country...

Tetedelacourse

Smiley not required for me BTFB, didn't think that was facetious in the slightest.

Does anyone know exactly WHAT stopped F&M last time? Was it the cull? Was it the disinfectant? Or changes in farming behaviour? Is there evidence-based information on the most effective way to contain this outbreak?

gbyers

Tetedelacourse said:
Smiley not required for me BTFB, didn't think that was facetious in the slightest.

Does anyone know exactly WHAT stopped F&M last time? Was it the cull? Was it the disinfectant? Or changes in farming behaviour? Is there evidence-based information on the most effective way to contain this outbreak?

The cull was effective if somewhat primitive.

Infected animals transmit the virus in their breath. Therefore direct contact between animals is the commonest means of spread. However virus is produced in vast quantities and exhaled animal breath can be blown by wind for many miles. Intensive livestock units can have a plume of virus containing air above them.

The disease has a short incubation period which is the key to culls (or vaccination programmes). Kill everything with symptoms and rigorously inspect all stock nationally for new outbreaks, culling as you go, and eventually you'll eradicate it.

It took 9 months of this for UK to be declared disease free last time. A reflection of how much spread happened over large distances in the early days.

It's slash and burn but it works. There are more progressive solutions which will hopefully be better managed this time if there are any secondary outbreaks.

gbyers

Arch;33987][QUOTE=Bigtallfatbloke said:
It's terrible...but how is making all the cows stand still going to help?

(I refer to the 100% ban on all livestock movement)

I was going to reply, but I'm now thinking you're being facetious? A smiley would help.

[/QUOTE]

C'mon Arch, nobody's that dim. (now which smiley most accurately conveys how I wish this comment to be received? Can't seem to find one that says "Oh for God's sake!).

PS
:rolleyes:;)

Top Bottom