Football Rules Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

Lizban

Question is irrelevant in relation to last nights match as the dutch had had a player sent off and as such Spain would have had to reduce their pool of penalty takers accordingly, so each team would have named 5 penalty takers, if scores are still level then other 5 players eligible to take spot kick would have taken theirs, and if score still even, it would rotate back to the first player to have taken a penalty.

So (mind wandering rather than serious).............. Had Spain gone on the rampage and two of their players had stamped on 4 Dutch players meaning they couldn't carry on and the 2 spain players get sent off - so that Spain has 9 Holland 7 players. Spain would win by default?

(I know it's not going to happen but this is a hypothetical)

johnnyh

Veteran
So (mind wandering rather than serious).............. Had Spain gone on the rampage and two of their players had stamped on 4 Dutch players meaning they couldn't carry on and the 2 spain players get sent off - so that Spain has 9 Holland 7 players. Spain would win by default?

(I know it's not going to happen but this is a hypothetical)

The Dutch would need to have been reduced to fewer than 7 for the match to be abandoned.

As for win by default, no.

johnnyh

Veteran
Ok they have 6 men left (and had Howard Web sent 3 of them off as he COULD have done they would ahve been almost there.!)

What happens then? (serious question)

seriously, the match cannot continue and would be abandoned with doubtless sanctions and fines against the offending team for a lack of discipline.

In the tournament regs there may be provision for such an incident, where a replay is the outcome providing no more than x% of the game time has been played out, but I suspect a replay. (since in this instance it was 0-0)

Top Bottom