Football Rules Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lizban

Watching the footy last night and seeing Torres get injured and it made me think. Assuming that Spain hadn’t scored and it had gone to a penalty shoot out and that Torres was needed (i.e it was 10 all) but not fit to take a penalty

What happens?

Do Spain forfeit the shootout?

Do they just rotate back to the beginning?

What is stopping a team then saying that 10 of its players are injured and can’t take a penalty (freeing up the super star taker to take all 5?)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
dunno, but i was kind of hoping for penalties; the two teams had an even worse record for losing on penalties than england (even we beat spain on pens once), and it would have been interesting to see how many were missed…

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
"only players who are on the​
fi eld of play at the end of the match, which includes extra time where appropriate, are eligible to take kicks from the penalty mark"
From FIFA Rules of the Game 2010/11
PDF here >> http://tiny.cc/i8mhw
Page 50/51 has the details

OP
OP
L

Lizban

"only players who are on the​
fi eld of play at the end of the match, which includes extra time where appropriate, are eligible to take kicks from the penalty mark"
From FIFA Rules of the Game 2010/11
PDF here >> http://tiny.cc/i8mhw
Page 50/51 has the details

But whwt if you are on the field of play but physically can't take a kick? - Say you have a broken leg - do you forfeit the game?

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
But whwt if you are on the field of play but physically can't take a kick? - Say you have a broken leg - do you forfeit the game?

Wouldn't that mean that you were ineligible to play

If so - the opposing side have to reduce the number of players in their pool of penalty takers to the same number as yours

OP
OP
L

Lizban

Wouldn't that mean that you were ineligible to play

If so - the opposing side have to reduce the number of players in their pool of penalty takers to the same number as yours

So why don't 9 players simply fall over at the final whistle ('injured') leaving the supar star penalty taker and the keeper?

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
So why don't 9 players simply fall over at the final whistle ('injured') leaving the supar star penalty taker and the keeper?

Whilst a technical possibility - wouldn't this be deemed unsporting behaviour and subject to FIFA sanction ?

Penalty-Gate anyone?

OP
OP
L

Lizban

Whilst a technical possibility - wouldn't this be deemed unsporting behaviour and subject to FIFA sanction ?

Penalty-Gate anyone?
It would be funny to see - you win the world cup you'd take the fine from Fifa

Ste T.

Guru
If its England you get someone whos never taken a professional penalty in his life and you let him have a go!

boylucifer

Question is irrelevant in relation to last nights match as the dutch had had a player sent off and as such Spain would have had to reduce their pool of penalty takers accordingly, so each team would have named 5 penalty takers, if scores are still level then other 5 players eligible to take spot kick would have taken theirs, and if score still even, it would rotate back to the first player to have taken a penalty.

taffref

Jobsworth comment

If at the beginning of kicks from the penalty mark one side has more players on the pitch than the other, then the side with more players must select an appropriate number of players who will not take part. For example, if Team A has 11 players but Team B only has 10, then Team A will choose one player who will not take part. Players deselected cannot play any part in the procedure: so a goalkeeper cannot be deselected from kicking while retained for saving. This applies whether players are absent through injury or being sent off. The rule was introduced by the IFAB in February 2000 because previously an eleventh kick would be taken by the eleventh (i.e. weakest) player of a full-strength team and the first (i.e. strongest) player of a sub-strength team.

[sup]Gave up the ref lark and bought a bike - much less hassle[/sup] :rolleyes:

johnnyh

Veteran
Match gets abandoned if one team has less than 8 players.

Sorry to be jobsworth here but 2 key points....

The game cannot start or continue if a team has fewer than 7 players - FIFA law 3

Also, and this could be seen as pedantic, football doesn't have 'rules', it has laws. ;)

Top Bottom