footballers, again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Paris Saint Germain just paid 14 million euros for some swedish ball kicker? The world has gone mad. How can someone be worth that sort of money for just kicking a ball about? All football clubs deserve to go bust until they come to their senses and all supporters should stop going to matches as they are paying for it in some way.
I have no respect whatsoever for footballers and club managers.They are the scum of society as far as I am concerned.

ohnovino

Large Member
How can someone be worth that sort of money for just kicking a ball about?

He scores goals -> goals win matches -> team becomes more successful -> income increases from higher gate receipts, TV money, prize money, sponsorship, etc.

As long as fans and sponsors are willing to put money in, the best players will be high-value commercial assets.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
They are the scum of society as far as I am concerned.

Rapists, murders, peados, muggers, burglars, kidnappers, drug dealers, pimps... yeah, a profession footballer is obviously worse than any of those...
smiley-taunt001.gif

Night Train

Maker of Things
I don't like the amount footballers are paid but the clubs obviously must be earning the money to cover their costs because of those high value players being in their club.

If I was paid a footballer's salary to kick a ball about on a patch of grass I doubt anyone would pay to see me nor ask me to put my name to a product. The club would also loose a fortune, and fans, due to me being there.

However, if someone specifically wanted my skills or name in particular then they may well be willing to pay a premium for it over having someone else. If I was only willing to work for the highest bidder then I may well have already been in that position.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Awaits po-faced misery-guts from yesterday to turn up and request such a subject is not referred to on a cycling forum......

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Rapists, murders, peados, muggers, burglars, kidnappers, drug dealers, pimps... yeah, a profession footballer is obviously worse than any of those...
I was not referring to public disorder or criminals but simply to the working population who actually work for their money. :wacko: For instance, a surgeon ,who deserves to be well paid and who has to study all his life, is actually poorly paid in comparaison to a guy who only kicks a ball on a bit of grass once a week. Think about "real values" in life.
smiley-taunt001.gif

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I was not referring to public disorder or criminals but simply to the working population who actually work for their money. :wacko: For instance, a surgeon ,who deserves to be well paid and who has to study all his life, is actually poorly paid in comparaison to a guy who only kicks a ball on a bit of grass once a week. Think about "real values" in life.
smiley-taunt001.gif

I'd worry about people on apprenticeships, internships, workfare, work experience, minimum wage + delta and so on. And the jobless. And those in other countries. And so on.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
smiley-taunt001.gif
I guess you don't know too many surgeons then. Bro in law is a neuro surgeon, gets paid more than I could dream of

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
smiley-taunt001.gif
70,000 people don't turn up on a Saturday and pay 35 quid each to watch a surgeon do his work.

ohnovino

Large Member
I can understand arguments against certain people making ludicrous amounts of money, but I don't get why the focus is always on footballers.

Adele made £23m last year (despite taking four months off from November to March). That's twice the salary of the highest paid Premiership footballer, 20 times the average Premiership wage and 100 times the average Championship wage.

ASC1951

Guru
I was not referring to public disorder or criminals but simply to the working population who actually work for their money. For instance, a surgeon ,who deserves to be well paid and who has to study all his life, is actually poorly paid in comparaison to a guy who only kicks a ball on a bit of grass once a week. Think about "real values" in life.
Another subject on which you clearly know diddly squat. The skills of a top professional footballer are much rarer than those of a surgeon, which is why a very few of them earn a lot more. And as for the idea that athletes 'work' only for the few minutes they are performing ....

Top Bottom