Footpaths that lead across farmers' fields

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I noticed myself, while cycling Mizzen head to Malin Head, that the Republic did not appear to have many public footpaths or bridleways.

classic33

Leg End Member
I noticed myself, while cycling Mizzen head to Malin Head, that the Republic did not appear to have many public footpaths or bridleways.
Negotiated rights of way, which is why I've posted any cycle routes I can find. Mass Paths are great if you know where to find them and the law behind them.

See what one man did http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_"The_Bull"_McSharry

Google "definitive map" for whatever local authority covers the area. Most are online, although a few are still in the dark ages and require you to go to their offices to view the map. They show the lot, bridleways, foothpaths, definitive, permissive, etc.
That said, the caliber of PROW officers varies wildly and they're the ones you're relying on to get anything done.

I just did :sad:
Seems Lincolnshire is still in the dark ages. Would have to travel 30 miles just to look.

D

Deleted member 23692

The definitive map will be held by the highway authority. Those held by libraries and district councils are copies and have no legal status :smile:

Lincs do provide a web map which gives a good indications of the presence and status of a right of way, and as it shows non-definitive routes routes such as permissive routes, cycle tracks and UUCRs on the same map it's actually more use than the real deal

http://row.lincolnshire.gov.uk/map.aspx?act=Walking|http://row.lincolnshire.gov.uk/

D

Deleted member 23692

yes it does but it also misses out all the Vehicular rights of way :smile:
A definitive map only depicts the 4 statuses of PRoW - footpath, bridleway, restricted byway and byway open to all traffic.

What vehicular rights are you after?

young Ed

Veteran
A definitive map only depicts the 4 statuses of PRoW - footpath, bridleway, restricted byway and byway open to all traffic.

What vehicular rights are you after?
the Byway Open to All Traffic (BOAT) is the one that's open to everything as the would suggest, this includes vehicles. these are often popular with green laners on motorbikes and in land rovers etc
My cousin used to earn some money milking the neighbour's herd. I remember a bull named Noël! You only rounded up the cows with a tractor and even then you didn't feel safe, and Noël went into the milking parlour with the cows! I think he was sold again fairly promptly as he was a very grumpy aggressive bull!
no fun and quite frankly potentially dangerous with such a bull :sad: the college i'm going to has a dairy farm that operates as a proper commercial dairy herd and employs people to run it and the kids do some of the work. the dairy farm borrowed a tiny (30 hp or so) tractor from the college and the herdsman didn't like it so when pushing the cattle along one day he came across a stubborn cow so gave it a nudge with the tractor he hated..... there's now a dent in the bonnet! :laugh:
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
My cousin used to earn some money milking the neighbour's herd. I remember a bull named Noël! You only rounded up the cows with a tractor and even then you didn't feel safe, and Noël went into the milking parlour with the cows! I think he was sold again fairly promptly as he was a very grumpy aggressive bull!
what they needed was a BULL bar, invented for just that to protect the vehicle from cooos
GAL014.gif

Cheers Ed

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
[QUOTE 3667671, member: 259"]Things have moved on a bit since the seventies when I was beaten up twice by gamekeepers while using rights of way through their lahnd. But it made the rabbits, trout and pheasant I got the other times all the tastier. :hungry:[/QUOTE]
Hey! That's my line!

Top Bottom