For BFTB: some nice stories.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
Here's one:
I've been plagued by unplanned deflation events lately on different bikes, different tubes, different tyres: just plain bad luck I suppose.
Snow today but two days ago I was under the sunshine on the wayside verge with the back wheel out, when a campervan pulls up. Whole family pile out (husband, wife and two lads in late teens). Husband walks over, says good morning and then bawls.
"Oi you two, fix the puncture!"
Lad no1 dives into van and comes over with toolbox and track pump and with lad no2 set to the task.
Wife disappears into campervan.
Wife then comes over carrying tray with cuppas and slabs of Victoria sponge cake. We sit around slurping and chomping and chatting while boys finish job, put wheel back in and join us.
There's lots of nice people out there too.

smiley-linie-007.gif

bonj2

:rolleyes: I find this story slightly incredulous. What I struggle with is WHY they thought you needed your puncture mending for you. What, were you lying on the ground exhausted, with your wheel beside you? Or looking like you were struggling with your puncture somehow?
I think if I'd have been in the process of successfully mending my puncture, and someone pulled up and shouted at their lads to, what, take over? I'd have said something along the lines of 'er... it's alright thanks - I'm fine with it'. I'd have assumed that I'd be better at it than they were, have wanted to avoid a situation where the urge to let them continue to be helpful is fighting with the urge to intervene and show them how to do a bit of it they're struggling with, especially seeing as it's a tyre/wheel combination they're presumably unfamiliar with.
And cake??!:biggrin: Who drives round the countryside (I'm presuming this deckchair-based jollity didn't take place on the middle of oxford street) looking for cyclists and rushes out to give them tea and cake as soon as they see one? You could have been an axe murderer for all they know!

EmGee DK

Many years ago I had a flat tire. It was raining very hard, and I started to walk pulling the bike, since I had no repair kit. I had quite a long way and just as I was at a low point, an old man in a pick up truck pulled up behind me. "Wanna a lift boy?" - drove me all the way to my front door.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I like it - I'd rather be offered cake and let someone else struggle with putting my tyre back on - but then I'm a girl who definately likes cake!!! and has Marathon tyres.

bonj2

betty swollocks said:
Bonj: it happened: live with it.

Course it did flower. Course it did.

Slowgrind

A few years ago a mate at work got a puncture on the way in. His journey was from Wavertree to Bootle a distance of some miles and the puncture happened at Anfield. He started to push his bike to work as he had left home without a repair kit. Just then a total stranger offers to mend his puncture for him if he brings the bike to his place on the top floor of a block of nearby flats. They take the bike to his place repair the puncture and he got to work on time. A random act of kindness!

Slowgrind said:
A few years ago a mate at work got a puncture on the way in. His journey was from Wavertree to Bootle a distance of some miles and the puncture happened at Anfield. He started to push his bike to work as he had left home without a repair kit. Just then a total stranger offers to mend his puncture for him if he brings the bike to his place on the top floor of a block of nearby flats. They take the bike to his place repair the puncture and he got to work on time. A random act of kindness!

He didn't ask your friend if he wanted to look at his stamp collection, as well, did he?
No, when you least expect, these good deeds are performed by good samaritans.
I like to think I will/can help those in need (and have done on occasions)- until I totally fukk up fixing their whatever the problem is! :rolleyes:

Odyssey

I went out for a ride, last year I think it was. Being a complete novice with long distances I had already pedalled approximately 25 miles (most of which was up steep inclines!) in heavy rain.

So much heavy rain that 5 miles before this I had actually stopped in a remote spot to start a small fire and dry myself out. I was wet right through. After 30 mins of faffing around with sodden twigs I realised the fire thing wasn;t going to work so I gave up and carried on with my ride, hoping the exercise would keep me warm.

Here I am, on a 3 mile incline, soaking wet and every time I straighten my legs as I pedal I can feel the muscles moving around, locking into place as they attempt to cramp. By which time, 15 miles from home, I was beginning to wonder if I was going to make it back!

Then, non other than a spotlessly clean Golf GTi pulls up beside me (I may well have been walking by this time!) and the lady driver (acompanied by whom I assume was her boyfriend :sad: ) asks me if I want a lift. Considering the state of me of me at the time you'd be relucant to let me into the back of a pickup, nevermind the leather interior of the car that is obviously your pride and joy. And with that in mind I couldn't bring myself to do it, I put on a brave face, humbly declined the offer and carried on my way. Just knowing that there are people out there that will do that for you though, it warms your heart.

bobg

Über Member
I was invited to spend the night with the bloke I was sitting next to in the launderette some years ago:biggrin: and he said he'd cook me breakfast. Wasn't that kind...

Bigtallfatbloke

ha!...well thanks for the thought chaps...yes I know there are nice peeps out there as well, indeed 99.9% of peeps are in fact decent peeps.

The snow kept me off the road today, not WVM.

...my particualr story of good will has to be that of John & Shirley on my tour last summer. After a run down from Sherringham on the Norfolk coast I arrived at moat farm caravan site just outside Thetford forest, tired and hungry. It was a bank holiday and everything was shut and the pub didnt do food. All i had to look forward to that night was a quarter packet of stale choccie bics.

Then I was offered a glass of champers and invited to a full four course home cooked meal on a formally dressed table in the middle of the field...we had a superb home cooked meal, lots to drink and exchanged stories late into the evening...really GREAT people.

Top Bottom