For sale - Landescape Tandem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcusjb

Slightly earlier than anticipated, our new tandem is on it's way. So, we better sell on the old one to a) raise funds for new one and b) to hopefully not end up trying to squeeze 2 tandems into a 1-bedroom flat.

I had hoped to get it all cleaned up and photographed today - but the weather hasn't really played ball, so I hope to do this tomorrow instead.

This is a Landescape tandem and is their Large/Medium frame. We bought it second hand in June 2010 from a couple who'd used it fairly lightly (they were more towpath pootlers than hardcore tourists). We've done a couple of decent tours on it (France and Spain) and various other things (a Dun Run and so on). Being our first tandem, we made some mistakes - the biggest one being size. This tandem is just a touch too big for us and as such, we've really not ridden it as much as we would have liked.

The bike is in a good condition* and has never ever let us down mechanically. It is a lovely bike, it's perfect for touring and pootling (it's not a speed machine though!). Landescape frames can have either 700C or 26 inch wheels if you fancied some off-road action.

* I can't remember the full story from the previous owner, but there is some slight cosmetic damage to the headtube where a bike shop removed a headset. I will, of course, put up photos of that when I get the whole bike photographed. Other than that, it is in good condition, paintwork is very good without any significant blemishes.

So - the details:

This is the large/medium size - I am 5 foot 8 with a fairly short inseam and it's just that little too large. I'd think that someone in the range of 5 foot 10 to 6 foot 4 (according to Landescape) would be good up front and a range of 5 foot 2 to 5 foot 10/11 would fit at the back.

Dimensions

Seat-tube (C-C) - front 460, rear 380 (sounds small, but check the standover height)
Top-tube - front 570, rear 690
Standover - front 770, rear 700
BB height - 284

Drivetrain

Shifters – Shimano Deore LX 9-speed
Front mech – Deore LX
Rear mech – Deore XT
Crankset – Middleburn triple 48/36/26 front 175mm cranks, rear 170mm
Cassette - Deore (LX?) - 11-32
Bottom brackets - unknown
Chains – timing and drive chains both have approx 600 miles on them - SRAM

Brakes

Levers – Shimano Deore
Main brakes – Avid BB7 (MTN) with 205mm rotors
Third brake – Avid Single Digit V-brake operated by Shimano Deore lever on stoker bars

Wheels

Hubs – Synergy tandem hubs (48H)
Rims – Alexrim DH19
Tyres – Schwalbe Marathon Plus 30mm (only done 500 miles)

Stem

Front – NVO adjustable
Rear – Thorn

Handlebars

Thorn Comfort riser bars

Pedals

Not supplied (we have M-324 for a test-ride, but we'll transfer those to new tandem)

Seatpost/saddles

Front – unknown seatpost, Selle Royale sprung padded saddle
Rear – System EX seatpost and GelTech Velo Plush padded saddle

Extras

4 Profile Design bottle cages
Cateye wireless computer (wheel sensor needs a new battery)
Zefal HPX pump
Rear rack
SKS mudguards

We are in Twickenham and can be pretty flexible about a test-ride. We are near Richmond Park and this may well be the easiest place to meet up for a test-ride (especially for any novice tandem riders who might benefit from a test ride on a car free road).

The price will be £1550

Drop me a line with any questions.

Until I get it photographed, here's a quick photo of the bike

Last edited:
OP
OP
marcusjb

marcusjb

I have yet to get more photos of the bike due to uncooperative weather whenever I want to clean and polish the bike!

However, in the meantime, a quick shot of the headtube and the damage to it where it looks like a ham-fisted mechanic had a go at removing a headset with a blunt teaspoon. Looks worse than it is really!

Last edited:
OP
OP
marcusjb

marcusjb

Is it just me or do Tandems always only come in really small sizes?

Well part of the reason this one is being sold is because it is on the larger size!

Certainly a little too large for me (up front) at 5 foot 8.

This tandem is more suited to someone 5 foot 10 up to around 6 foot 4 up front.

OP
OP
marcusjb

marcusjb

Price drop before she ends up on the 'Bay - £1450

2 bedroom flat and 2 tandems is a squeeze currently!

(Final edit - tandem now has a new home!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom