For the love of God, help me choose!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimbles666

Hi folks

So, I am taking delivery of a shiny new pair of Mavic Cosmic Cabone SL's today, that I picked up for under 500 sheets. Cheers CRC.

Now I just need a bike to attach them too.

I have narrowed my search down to 3 bikes and I can't decide, so any real world experience and general informed assistance would be wonderful.

1. Ridley Noah 2017.
Pros: Well reviewed, race proven frame design, nice paint job, full Ultegra group, decent Fulcrum Quattro's to sling on my (soon to be) winter bike.
Cons: Older model, not convinced I love the frame design aesthetically

2. Cervelo S2 2018.
Pros: It's a Cervelo. Cool frame design
Cons: 105 group a bit stingey on a 2.5k bike, crap wheels.

3. Fuji Transonic 2.5 2018.
Pros: Stunning frame design, cheapest of the 3 including current discount, well reviewed all round aero race bike
Cons: 105/ in house componentry (although the Oval stuff is meant to be decent and looks cool), paint job is a bit boring, keeping the matte finish clean and finger print free will drive me up the wall.

All are between £1700 and £1750 with current discounts applied.

Cheers

Jimmy

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Cervelo. Doesn’t matter that the wheels are crap. Also you’re not paying 2.5k

Assume you’ve ridden them all?

The Noah is hardly old. It’s probably identical to the 2018 other than the paint job

I personally wouldn’t spend that on a bike I didn’t love aesthetically so choose the one you most like the look of

OP
OP
Jimbles666

Jimbles666

I have not ridden them. Nowhere near me that stocks them. I'm going on obsessive online research and geometry charts. I know that's not ideal but I know what I'm after and I know they'll fit me.

I do like the Ridley and I reckon out of the box it'll be lovely. It's not that old, no and definitely the best value. I'm leaning that way but the cervelo is a cervelo and the Transonic is damn sexy.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ride them, then purchase the one that gives you the biggest swelling in the groinal region. Easy.

You can't make an informed decision based upon brochures and spec sheets alone, so if you're not going to ride them then just buy whichever is cheapest, or roll the dice, or read the tea leaves, or consult a seer, or sacrifice a goat, or whatever, it doesnt matter.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have not ridden them. Nowhere near me that stocks them. I'm going on obsessive online research and geometry charts. I know that's not ideal but I know what I'm after and I know they'll fit me.

I do like the Ridley and I reckon out of the box it'll be lovely. It's not that old, no and definitely the best value. I'm leaning that way but the cervelo is a cervelo and the Transonic is damn sexy.
Make the effort to go see them. I travelled 200+ miles to see and ride my eventual Ti purchase and had done another trip to Norfolk before

Evans sell Fuji so unless you live on the moon or the UK equivalent thereof, that can't be too hard. Cervelo and Ridley are sold by numerous retailers around the country. Make a weekend of it :okay:

Otherwise it could be an expensive mistake

OP
OP
Jimbles666

Jimbles666

I'd get the Cervelo.
But if your not totally happy then wait on a bit as retailers will start offering more discounts soon. I would'nt spend that much on bike that I wasnt totally happy with.

I think I've discounted the cervelo tbh. The one that cheap is white only. I swore I'd never have another white bike as I'm OCD about keeping it clean and they're a nightmare. More importantly though, as well as being 105 (which I have now and love but would like an upgrade) it also comes with a compact chainset, which is a bit of a dealbreaker

vickster

Legendary Member
@vickster I was hoping to do exactly that but they appear to have stopped selling them. Checked stock last night and bugger all
Evans?

Down to two then, makes it easier ;)

Or indeed one, Ridley it is then

Or you could just get this. Don't need wheels, so you could get Ultegra added instead ;)

https://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/pearson-i-m-not-a-number.html

OP
OP
Jimbles666

Jimbles666

Ride them, then purchase the one that gives you the biggest swelling in the groinal region. Easy.

You can't make an informed decision based upon brochures and spec sheets alone, so if you're not going to ride them then just buy whichever is cheapest, or roll the dice, or read the tea leaves, or consult a seer, or sacrifice a goat, or whatever, it doesnt matter.

You are quite correct but with no car to get about to shops miles away it's gonna have to be a dice role ha

Top Bottom