Forest Holidays - Forest of Dean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Hi all,

Has anyone been to the Forest Holidays - Forest of Dean site and know what the cycling is like?
We are going next week. I usually cycle on a Trek Domane SL5, but have got the option of my off road folder. Older daughter has an all terrain type bike. Younger daughter has a Cannondale quick disk 5. Are she and I going to find any cycling on our road bikes, or is it all MTB?

Thanks

D_97_goodtimes

Roads are lumpy with not many flat bits but that shouldn’t put you off. If memory serves there used to be a sportive during the spring. The circular route of Coleford to Monmouth to Bigsweir via Trellech to St Briavels and back to Coleford would get the heart rate up.

Off road is well catered for. The railway line between Coleford and Cannop ponds has been converted into a cycle path, the gradient is gentle enough. The area around Speech House has lots of tracks and trails.

The niceties of life (Cake and coffee) can be found in Coleford, Lydney and Monmouth. Beechenhurst near Speech House has a cafeteria and picnic area.

Enjoy your stay and avoid the Boar.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Hi @icowden. I've done quite a lot of riding in the Forest of Dean, all on a road bike (albeit one with bomb-proof tyres). Nearly all of my rides have been on Sundays, when the traffic has been light. Some of the A roads that cross the forest can get quite busy with traffic on weekdays.

Do look up the "Pedalbikeaway Centre" near Cannop/Coleford. By all accounts there are some great mountain bike trails there. Our club sometimes does a cafe stop there on rides out from Gloucester. These rides all involve a fair bit of climbing to get into the forest, including some killer climbs such as St White's Road, Cinderford, the Lydbrook Valley, the climb from Newnham on Severn to Littledean, and the climb from the West up to Speech House.

There is a "Forest of Dean Visitor Centre" at Soudley, which also has a cafe, and the area between there and Soudley Woods (Fancy Road) and the lakes at Cannop Ponds, and Mallards Pike is always lovely to ride.

From somewhere near Pedalbikeaway, there is an off-road track leading to the outskirts of Cinderford that makes for a great little there-and-back family friendly ride through the woods where you might be lucky enough to spot deer.

Another great family friendly off-road track runs from near the road bridge in Monmouth (a little lane where you might be lucky enough to be able to park) through the woods and along the banks of the Wye all the way to Symonds Yat. This always forms part of the "Once More Unto Agincourt" 100km audax from Tewkesbury, and it is a real highlight that can definitely be done on a road bike, though pot holed and slippy in places. I can recommend carrying on as far as Goodrich Castle for further views of the Wye Valley. EDIT: MUCH EASIER TO PARK (AND FIND THE TRACK) AT SYMONDS YAT.

Not knowing your kids' ages or ability levels, I would advise you to have a good drive around to asses the traffic conditions and the hills.

If you want to do a ride on your own, I can thoroughly recommend a loop taking in the long, sweeping descent of the A4136 into Monmouth, followed by the track along the Wye to Goodrich and a climb back up into the Forest via Lydbrook.

While you are in the Forest, apart from the cycling, make sure you take in the views of the Wye from Symonds Yat Rock and of the Severn from Littledean.

Have a great stay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Thanks,

They won't be doing anything spectacular. They are 14 and 16. The older daughter has done a 30 miler with me before and the younger a 10 miler.
Are the forest trails strictly MTB or will a road bike with hybrid style wheels cope? The kids will mostly want to go off road.

For me, I'm trying to decide between taking my heavy folder which has fat off road tyres or the Domane. The littler daughter only has one choice of bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
depends if you want to spend time pootling with everyone else or go full roadie , i have ridden with mini ck1 and although she does the best even on a junior road bike it was so slow .

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Well we had a great time. The road bike vs MTB issue was kind of settled by my brother in law who had a 20mph off with two other cyclists due to a slick road two days before the holiday. Luckily he was OK - just bruising, but his bike had both shifters ripped off.

So we took the off road bikes.

This proved to be an excellent decision. Lots of gravel and ruts around the Forest Holidays site. We did a green MTB trail with the kids, a cycle up to Symonds Yat and also a cycle around the Forest of Dean Sculpture park.

A definite recommend for off road family cycling :-)

Milzy

Guru
Hi all,

Has anyone been to the Forest Holidays - Forest of Dean site and know what the cycling is like?
We are going next week. I usually cycle on a Trek Domane SL5, but have got the option of my off road folder. Older daughter has an all terrain type bike. Younger daughter has a Cannondale quick disk 5. Are she and I going to find any cycling on our road bikes, or is it all MTB?

Thanks

I went and took the hard tail MTB. More fun in the Forrest and bombing along fire roads with dear than on the roads. You could plan a road ride still but meh.

Top Bottom