Forest of Bowland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Thankyou to all contributors to this thread. Clearly the Forest has many afficianados and I will carefully consult as and when a visit becomes feasible. Meanwhile I will try to control my inbuilt impatience

For anyone interested in the Ribblehead Viaduct and the settle carlisle line (for this thread ranged a bit around the area's multiple loveliness) the decent Yesterday channel (freeview) prog on rail architecture will be covering them on Tuesday May 19 at 8pm.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thankyou to all contributors to this thread. Clearly the Forest has many afficianados and I will carefully consult as and when a visit becomes feasible. Meanwhile I will try to control my inbuilt impatience
If you would like some company on a ride in the FoB then we could try to arrange one of our FoB forum rides for when you are up? (Assuming that the virus restrictions have been relaxed by then.)

Adam4868

Guru
Was up that way the other day rode over past Grizedale Reservoir.Theyve actually resurfaced the rode ! It was a mess for a good while.

Eh? I presume you don't mean the truly appalling 100 metre long bit on a 10% rise about 1km from the reservoir crossing in the Slaidburn direction? They put various shovel loads of tarmac on it a little while back and tamped those down with the shovel (I surmise!) and it's still appallingly cratered, and deteriorating rapidly over the last couple of months. That is, entirely literally, the worst piece of road I know of anywhere in the Forest of Bowland and the Dales!

Adam4868

Guru
Eh? I presume you don't mean the truly appalling 100 metre long bit on a 10% rise about 1km from the reservoir crossing in the Slaidburn direction? They put various shovel loads of tarmac on it a little while back and tamped those down with the shovel (I surmise!) and it's still appallingly cratered, and deteriorating rapidly over the last couple of months. That is, entirely literally, the worst piece of road I know of anywhere in the Forest of Bowland and the Dales!
Grizedale resevoir,Nicky nook.Cant remember the name of the road but it was shut for a while to cars.Coming from Scorton way it's right of long lane ? Heading towards Calder Vale if that makes sense.

Apologies: I read 'Grizedale' as Gisburn for some reason .... (That being where Stocks Reservoir is, with the dire road.) Yes, that bit has been redone. Quite a few roads in the F of B could do with some work on the Lancashire side :-\ The Trough of Bowland road approaching from the west is verging on agricultural for a couple of kilometres.

Adam4868

Guru
Apologies: I read 'Grizedale' as Gisburn for some reason .... (That being where Stocks Reservoir is, with the dire road.) Yes, that bit has been redone. Quite a few roads in the F of B could do with some work on the Lancashire side :-\ The Trough of Bowland road approaching from the west is verging on agricultural for a couple of kilometres.
That's ok I'm useless remembering roads by name.I know that road as sometimes drive ( shock horror ! ) with partner and kids and go for a walk round the resevoir.It was shut for a good while to cars.
In normal times of course !

geocycle

Legendary Member
That's ok I'm useless remembering roads by name.I know that road as sometimes drive ( shock horror ! ) with partner and kids and go for a walk round the resevoir.It was shut for a good while to cars.
In normal times of course !
That‘s Harris End Fell. It was resurfaced last year which was long overdue. Nice road up to the edge of the moorland. Usually get some good bird life And views across to the coast.

Adam4868

Guru
Yes that's it,but it was definately closed this year at least for a few weeks.I know it was after Christmas....although my mind could quite easily be scrambled !

Top Bottom