Forest of Bowland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
As a former Yorkshire resident I have heard, with scepticism, good comment about the Forest of Bowland. Once lockdown is sufficiently eased I want to go for 3 possibly 4 days. I am not a camper and for a short holiday I don't mind paying a premium for places other than the budget hotels and McDs. OSM Outdoors suggest some routes but other than that I don't have a clue re good cycling destinations. Currently I am thinking
  1. AM leave London by rail as soon as the senior railcard is valid for Preston and travel on by taxi, to a hotel base somewhere with easy access to the area, possibly Clitheroe.
  2. ride Nly loop to Clapham, Settle, about 75k
  3. ride NWly loop to Dunsop Br, Oakenclough, about 90k
  4. tbd
  5. travel home
All comments and suggestions on my plan above are welcome; literally anything - routes , cafes, hotels, museums etc etc

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Great choice of area. I think your two routes take in the classic climb from Slaidburn up the Hodder valley and then the descent to Clapham. The other must would be the Trough of Bowland. A third day might get you to Malham? Clitheroe is a good choice, lots of cafes an pubs, I’ve stayed at the brewery in an old mill which has been converted to a nice hotel. Another option might be Whaley or slaidburn. the latter would be an expensive taxi. You could even base in Lancaster to keep train logistics simpler. Good cafes in Dunsop Bridge, Chipping, Wray, Laidburn, Clapham, Settle...

I declare bias as I live on the edge of the Forest of Bowland, near Clapham, at the bottom of the road up Bowland Knotts, meaning that all the Bowland roads are within a couple of hours. It is most certainly excellent cycling country.

I assume those loops are:
1. Up the Hodder valley from Slaidburn to the Cross of Greet, right at the bottom and back over Bowland Knotts, taking in Clapham and Settle. There are other ways back - via Wigglesworth or Bolton-by-Bowland, but if you want to do the 'passes' then do go over Bowland Knotts and from that direction. Same applies to Cross of Greet: that's the best direction, though both are good.
2. From Dunsop Bridge and up the Trough of Bowland, then keep going left to get to Oakenclough and back to wherever. That's a good route, certainly. Take the first left on descending from the Trough as that's the nicer road.
- Those two cover the three main roads over the hills in the F of B.
3. If I were you, and assuming you want to visit Settle as mentioned, I'd do a route taking in the road through Wigglesworth, to Settle and Clapham and wherever, perhaps separately from the Cross of Greet / Bowland Knotts loop. You can then do a loop from Settle taking in Malham without the day being more than the 90K you mentioned.

All of this is 'fairly hilly', but you presumably know this ...

As to places to stay, I can't comment from direct experience due to living here. If 'premium places' would include the cost of The Inn at Whitewell, however, then I have always assumed that it's a very nice place, though know nothing beyond that it looks good and seems busy often. It is also pretty much perfectly positioned. Arguably so is Slaidburn. Both are better than Clitheroe, though that is perfectly fine too.

I can attach gpx files of loops if they'd be of any help?

geocycle

Legendary Member
Inn at whitewell Is excellent if you can get in. I’ve stayed twice but booked months in advance. Fantastic view from the breakfast room, great beer and a high end wine shop If that’s your thing. The food is all very local. Not cheap unless work Is paying...

@Sea of vapours has described the best routes.

Last edited:
There's a cracking cafe stop at Dunsop Bridge, can't remember it's name (something to do with Ducks) but i stopped there last year for breakfast and it was a really nice place. Needed some juice so i could climb up that hill, was tougher than i thought.

Jackslad

There's a cracking cafe stop at Dunsop Bridge, can't remember it's name (something to do with Ducks) but i stopped there last year for breakfast and it was a really nice place. Needed some juice so i could climb up that hill, was tougher than i thought.
Puddleducks cafe.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Be aware it he as since changed hands. I've no idea if this means a change in quality as I haven't been since.

The previous owners now run the cafe just outside Downham.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As a former Yorkshire resident I have heard, with scepticism, good comment about the Forest of Bowland. Once lockdown is sufficiently eased I want to go for 3 possibly 4 days. I am not a camper and for a short holiday I don't mind paying a premium for places other than the budget hotels and McDs. OSM Outdoors suggest some routes but other than that I don't have a clue re good cycling destinations. Currently I am thinking
  1. AM leave London by rail as soon as the senior railcard is valid for Preston and travel on by taxi, to a hotel base somewhere with easy access to the area, possibly Clitheroe.
  2. ride Nly loop to Clapham, Settle, about 75k
  3. ride NWly loop to Dunsop Br, Oakenclough, about 90k
  4. tbd
  5. travel home
All comments and suggestions on my plan above are welcome; literally anything routes , cafes, hotels, museums etc etc

You will find some of the finest cycling Lancashire has to offer in this area - and we have a lot of very good cycling country.

You've chosen good routes with some great climbs.

There are routes you can follow to cycle to Clitheroe from Preston. I guess you are thinking you will have an overnight bag? If using panniers it's a decent ride - probably easiest and quietest to go Longridge and then follow the B6243 to Clitheroe. It's a nice ride.

Living in the area I've never needed accommodation here but think it will be pricey though after lockdown there could be a lot of deals. Another 👍 for the Inn at Whitwell but it is a seriously expensive five star place. You'll get at least two if not three nights elsewhere for the same money.

Whalley would be a good base. You could ride the Nab while you're there.🤫

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another 'top choice of riding area' vote from me.

I've been fortunate to have been led on a couple of rides through the Forest of Bowland by @ColinJ.

We had to keep to the group ride schedule, but it was obvious to me I could easily spend a few days there doing circuits.

I can't help with routes, but it seems to me there are only a handful of cafes, so if I came across one I wouldn't pass it because I might not see another for a while.

Boopop

Guru
Waah I miss the Forest of Bowland. It's lovely. My highlights would be the climb going north on Lythe Fell Road after the Cross of Greet Bridge:

1587107760152.png

...and the climb heading south up towards Bowland Knotts (which I believe has already been mentioned) along Keasden Road:

1587107847421.png

A lot of the best roads in Bowland are usually very quiet. I should really do my preferred route in reverse at some point. The above hills aren't too severe and have pleasant views but if you really want to get your blood pumping and your head down it has to be Birdy Brow. The nice view on that waits for you at the top, once you've suffered for it!

Top Bottom