Forest of Bowland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I spent a few nights HERE a couple of years ago and it was very pleasant and a perfect base for walking out with kids and freinds. They also had a games room downstairs so we could enjoy games of pool instead of being stuck around a table drinking all evening. You would have to check they still have the games room as it may now be a function room?
Great country pub slap bang in the middle of spectacular countryside. You've got me hatching plans now.....

There are routes you can follow to cycle to Clitheroe from Preston. I guess you are thinking you will have an overnight bag? If using panniers it's a decent ride - probably easiest and quietest to go Longridge and then follow the B6243 to Clitheroe. It's a nice ride.
Yes, I was wondering why @gbs intended to take a taxi - seemed a bit perverse. I cycle that route quite often and yes it is a nice ride - 2 hours or so - and you see more on a bike/can stop of course. Possible to do a small divert down the drive of Stoneyhurst College near Hurst Green, you also pass right by the ancient bridge that supposedly inspired Tolkein, and you can also do a very small divert as you pass by Great Mitton to take a look at the rather nice church with the Shireburn memorials.

Alternatively, you can train it all the way to clitheroe - from Preston taking a train to Blackburn, then to Clitheroe. Also an option of west coast to Manchester Picadilly, then Salford Crescent and on to Clitheroe - does mean you have to entrust yourself to Northern though. On balance I would ride it - I usually do. Even if gbs's bike doesn't have a rack (mininalist racer?) minimalist things like the tubus fly can be fitted temporarily.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I can't help with routes, but it seems to me there are only a handful of cafes, so if I came across one I wouldn't pass it because I might not see another for a while.

Ah you need a local guide for cafes!!! We don't like to let too many know how good it is in case they all come for a look. :laugh:

That's why the well prepared rider in those parts should carry an espresso pot and small stove :smile:

Yep, you'll often find us crouched behind a hedge!

and a small frying pan to cook an odd pheasant or rabbit, couldn't believe how many there were
The road kill is of high quality.

In all seriousness it's astonishing how literally tens of thousands drive straight by the Ribble Valley, Trough of Bowland, Forest of Bowland on their way to the Lakes It's a stunning area, great beauty, quiet roads, great climbs and some very good cafes.

Long may the world stay away.

In all seriousness it's astonishing how literally tens of thousands drive straight by the Ribble Valley, Trough of Bowland, Forest of Bowland on their way to the Lakes It's a stunning area, great beauty, quiet roads, great climbs and some very good cafes.

Agree - in fact I agree with someone upthread (maybe you) who said that the trip merits more than such a short stay - especially after the potential hassle of entrusting yourself to the UK rail system.

Clitheroe I would say (I would say) is an ideal base - Bowland, Pendle, Ribble Valley of course, and folk regularly ride from there up to the Dales and back for a day ride. You can even pedal to Hellifield and take in the Settle Carlisle line to a certain point then ride back.

If @gbs is interested, I can send by pm a fair few gpxs, round pendle tough ride, ribble villages, a ride @ColinJ sorted as a loop from Clitheroe and then down the old roman road/witches trail, a loop from Clitheroe to Garstang. Few others. For a particularly long day ride I even have a gpx for Wolverhampton to the Ribble Valley.

I didn't take you for a bestoved hedge croucher Paul - had the idea that you were a minimalist roadie.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Well, that is a very interesting mailbag and I am much encouraged. Thank you everybody. For those who query the taxi leg I guess my thoughts are 1) that I will take the Trek Domane to aid myself through the hills; it doesn't have attachment points 2) I do not want to risk a return ride to Preston and train home on a wet day. I would be happy getting to Clitheroe via the branch network but it has had v bad press comment recently in the context of Northen Hub v HS2.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is a YH at Slaidburn which might make a good base? There is a cafe nearby down by the village green.

I've never had a problem on the trains to Clitheroe. I catch my local train to Blackburn and change there.

I used to like Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington but that changed hands just before the coronavirus crisis and I haven't had the chance to go there since.

Cobbled Corner cafe in Chipping is another potential stop.

If you do get to Settle then the cafe at 3 Peaks Cycles on the market 'square' is very good indeed, for both hot food and cake.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
There is a YH at Slaidburn which might make a good base? There is a cafe nearby down by the village green.

I've never had a problem on the trains to Clitheroe. I catch my local train to Blackburn and change there.

I used to like Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington but that changed hands just before the coronavirus crisis and I haven't had the chance to go there since.

Cobbled Corner cafe in Chipping is another potential stop.

Last we heard the Country Kitchen had closed. This was well before Coronavirus and no one was able to find out what was happening. Could be simple refurbishment.

The cafe in Slaidburn is good for a stop but I'm not sure I would rely on it for a meal.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Last we heard the Country Kitchen had closed. This was well before Coronavirus and no one was able to find out what was happening. Could be simple refurbishment.
The last time I rode past the new owners seemed to be in the middle of redecorating the place. That was several months ago.

The cafe in Slaidburn is good for a stop but I'm not sure I would rely on it for a meal.
Yes, I suppose if stopping at the YH, you'd want more than coffee and snacks. The Hark to Bounty pub gets some nice reviews on Trip Advisor.

s 2) I do not want to risk a return ride to Preston and train home on a wet day.
Not too sure I understand this - I wouldn't say a ride in the rain is dangerous.

Also, if you've researched the area, you will surely know that rain is hardly rare in those parts - a fair chance you will have it on your stay anyway if booking ahead.
Enjoy your trip, I still advise a longer trip.
(then you might see some sun :smile: )

Not too sure I understand this - I wouldn't say a ride in the rain is dangerous.
Unpleasant though .... On a day within the trip, if it's raining, it's possible to choose not to make things worse by being on a bike. If it's peeing down on the day of arrival or departure then cycling in the rain will probably be unavoidable if cycling is the way to travel from Preston. Makes sense to me !

Top Bottom