Forest of Bowland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Yep, The Barn at Scorton is outrageous. I've only been once and I won't be going again, high prices and small portions. I know plenty of cyclists who won't touch it these days. Applestore on the other hand is undoubtedly expensive but in a lovely setting with log fires in winter and gardens in summer. Good food, good portions and great cake (second best in Lancashire) and very friendly staff. We use it a lot because everyone loves it and feel the prices are justified.

Applestore is my second favourite cafe only just behind the Potters Barn.
Agreed Applestore is a lovely place for cake and coffees,had the luxury of staying there once,paid for ! They have some yurts that you camp/clamp whatever in.
I remember seeing it once on one of those programmes where they try and get the owners to move with the times,make a successful business of it so to speak.Seems to have worked ! Can't remember the name of tv show now.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
That would be the vibes from the buried witch?
Maybe.
Alice Nutter reputedly buried there.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Should stress that I haven't ever made my fine espresso behind a hedge - usually looking at a fine view or round the back of a church, sometimes listed. Am very fussy about my coffee.
But you have been known to use a wall...! :okay:

Here is where we stopped for your coffee break on our Forest of Bowland ride last year. Despite being the end of May there was a very chilly wind blowing, so we took shelter.

Yes, there were fine views!

I'm not sure which one of the Yorkshire Dales Three Peaks that is in the top left...?

ColinJ

I spent a little time working up another route today. I now understand why I have been advised to stay for longer.
Pah... can't see the appeal! :whistle:

Just make sure that you don't go up there in bad weather. I had a ride organised but spotted 'incoming' on the weather forecast so I put the ride back by a day. The screenshot below was taken from an online lightning tracker at a time when we would have been up on those hills!!! :eek:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
But you have been known to use a wall...! :okay:

Here is where we stopped for your coffee break on our Forest of Bowland ride last year. Despite being the end of May there was a very chilly wind blowing, so we took shelter.

View attachment 516006

Yes, there were fine views!

View attachment 516005

I'm not sure which one of the Yorkshire Dales Three Peaks that is in the top left...?

So you allowed @Blue Hills to stop for a coffee break?

Pah, I remember being ticked off for stopping for a mini cigar.

Ahem - it's not. At least, I'm fair to middling confident that that's Pendle Hill looking from the NNW. I'll accept that it could be Ingleborough with the top chopped off by cloud. It could also be Pen-y-ghent, though from the SE and if you're in the middle of the F of B then that isn't it, whereas Pendle Hill 'works'.

EDIT: Oh - and I was riding over the Cross of Greet during that forecast. It was damp and windy ....

ColinJ

Ahem - it's not. At least, I'm fair to middling confident that that's Pendle Hill looking from the NNW. I'll accept that it could be Ingleborough with the top chopped off by cloud. It could also be Pen-y-ghent, though from the SE and if you're in the middle of the F of B then that isn't it, whereas Pendle Hill 'works'.

EDIT: Oh - and I was riding over the Cross of Greet during that forecast. It was damp and windy ....
I see what you mean, but you are wrong in this case! Pendle Hill IS the hill looking south in the 6th of my pictures in my subsequent post.

The Streetview photos were taken towards the northern end of the FoB, just before dropping down to Wray - HERE. A different view from the spot should make it more obvious... I think it is Pen-y-ghent from the SW.

Ah yes- it's Ingleborough then :whistle:

The Streetview you posted is clear as that's Ingleborough on the right; Whernside is the lump about 1/3 of the way in from the right and then you have Gragareth. All a bit cloudy and indistinct though.

It's definitely not Pen-y-ghent since, whilst it does look a lot like that from certain angles, it doesn't from that point. You can verify that by looking at the OS map, or anything with contour lines on. Pen-y-ghent is visible on Streetview from further down that road, but again it's murky.
https://tinyurl.com/ydgyug6b
You have to zoom in a lot, but it's that dark smudge above and right of the orange gate post.
Here - it's in the beautifully drawn circle and Ingleborough is much closer and on the left of this image.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

ColinJ

Ah, I was just looking on my OS map and thinking it was a bit too far north for Pen-y-ghent from that position.

I had never heard of Gragareth. Just found it on the map - I have looked up at it on rides but never thought to wonder what it was called!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Agreed Applestore is a lovely place for cake and coffees,had the luxury of staying there once,paid for ! They have some yurts that you camp/clamp whatever in.
I remember seeing it once on one of those programmes where they try and get the owners to move with the times,make a successful business of it so to speak.Seems to have worked ! Can't remember the name of tv show now.
Country House Rescue or something???

Top Bottom