Forest of Bowland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I wonder how many cafes and restaurants will actually re-open after lockdown ends? There might be quite a few that won't.

There will very likely be some casualties. I have all my fingers crossed for the Potters Barn, Ribchester. My favourite cafe run by a lovely lady and very good staff. I know she was desperately worried before lockdown. We made a special ride over there on the Monday to show our support. She was so happy to see us.

I want to be the first person through the door when she reopens.

There will very likely be some casualties. I have all my fingers crossed for the Potters Barn, Ribchester. My favourite cafe run by a lovely lady and very good staff. I know she was desperately worried before lockdown. We made a special ride over there on the Monday to show our support. She was so happy to see us.

I want to be the first person through the door when she reopens.

Next time I’m working in that area I’ll have a ride out that way and stop in if it’s open

Being from Milton Keynes (not much in the way of big hills) I love riding around that area, it’s either up or down with great scenery all around.

Here’s hoping to an end of all this in good time.

Just my little joke. :smile:

I'm not a croucher, definitely a minimalist. I like my Americano with hot milk and cake in a cafe. 😄😄 and possibly even a bacon and egg barm!!
Should stress that I haven't ever made my fine espresso behind a hedge - usually looking at a fine view or round the back of a church, sometimes listed. Am very fussy about my coffee.

Adam4868

Guru
Very true. Little is flat. Even a ride round the edges of pendle can be a pretty serious workout.
As @PaulSB says, the area isn't too well known, am intrigued how someone from the gridded flatlands of MK discovered it.
More your area Pendle,Clitheroe but I do like Hudsons ice cream,cafe think its on Downham road.Was there a few weeks before the lockdown.
The Trough is probally my most visited area close to me,although I find a lot of the "cycling cafes" have gone up in prices in the last couple of years The Barn and The Apple store at Scorton are expensive by anyone prices now.The Inn at Whitwell is a gorgeous pub/inn but more for a romantic weekend away I think,ive only ever been to a wedding there.Taken the kids on the stepping stones at the rear of it.Theres so many good routes arount this area youll be spoilt for choice.

Very true. Little is flat. Even a ride round the edges of pendle can be a pretty serious workout.
As @PaulSB says, the area isn't too well known, am intrigued how someone from the gridded flatlands of MK discovered it.

I discovered the area whilst working up there, been back for work loads. Use to stay In Mellor so not quite FoB but around the Ribble Valley is a real treat. I did make it to the FoB from Mellor a couple of times but my routes are varied

If you stay near Ribchester, there’s a few reasonably priced hotels around Mellor etc

I’m definitely going back, if not for work, then a weekend of riding

The beer garden at the Aspinall arms post ride on a sunny day has got to be the nearest to paradise it's possible to get on this earth.
POST ride? Where are you getting back to?
I hope you visited the nearby church?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
POST ride? Where are you getting back to?
I hope you visited the nearby church?

We've got a favourite spring ride: drive to Aspinall Arms, cycle to Trough of Bowland, continue round the back, return via cafe in Chipping.

Would have been perfect in the sunny weather this spring.

Last time, saw a weasel carrying its baby (kit??) up a lane!

Only cycled past Church, didn't stop.

The Pendle Inn, Barley is located at the base of Pendle Hill. They have some chalets to the rear for overnight accommodation, I believe reasonably priced. Meals in the Pendle Inn are reasonably priced.
Barley would be quite a good base for touring the area.
Good suggestion,. Nice pub (i much prefer it to the poshed up one opposite) and nice grass and tables at the front.
Suppose some folks have discovered the promised land/happy valley - barley can get very crowded these days - got nattering to a guy in the churchyard at newchurch when i was last that way who said some of the villagers were getting a bit grumpy about it.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Good suggestion,. Nice pub (i much prefer it to the poshed up one opposite) and nice grass and tables at the front.
Suppose some folks have discovered the promised land/happy valley - barley can get very crowded these days - got nattering to a guy in the churchyard at newchurch when i was last that way who said some of the villagers were getting a bit grumpy about it.
Yes, I agree that visitors seem to have increased over the last few years.
St Mary’s churchyard seems to have a feelgood vibe - nice place to spend a few minutes.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
More your area Pendle,Clitheroe but I do like Hudsons ice cream,cafe think its on Downham road.Was there a few weeks before the lockdown.
The Trough is probally my most visited area close to me,although I find a lot of the "cycling cafes" have gone up in prices in the last couple of years The Barn and The Apple store at Scorton are expensive by anyone prices now.The Inn at Whitwell is a gorgeous pub/inn but more for a romantic weekend away I think,ive only ever been to a wedding there.Taken the kids on the stepping stones at the rear of it.Theres so many good routes arount this area youll be spoilt for choice.

Yep, The Barn at Scorton is outrageous. I've only been once and I won't be going again, high prices and small portions. I know plenty of cyclists who won't touch it these days. Applestore on the other hand is undoubtedly expensive but in a lovely setting with log fires in winter and gardens in summer. Good food, good portions and great cake (second best in Lancashire) and very friendly staff. We use it a lot because everyone loves it and feel the prices are justified.

Applestore is my second favourite cafe only just behind the Potters Barn.

Top Bottom