Forest of Dean Spring Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave G

All,

Anyone riding the Forest of Dean Spring Classic this weekend?

It's my first Sportive, one that I'm having to do alone after my riding partner pulled out. Interested to see what any past riders opinions were......the distance doesn't seem too bad, but I have to admit the climbing is a concern (nearly 8000ft over 85 miles).

How do they derive the categories (gold/silver/bronze)? Do they take the fastest rider as a benchmark and then work them out or are there set times?

I wouldn't mind doing it as it's pretty local to me, but I think it might be a bit beyond my comfortable range until I get a bit fitter. Hope you enjoy it!

Dave G said:
All,

Anyone riding the Forest of Dean Spring Classic this weekend?

It's my first Sportive, one that I'm having to do alone after my riding partner pulled out. Interested to see what any past riders opinions were......the distance doesn't seem too bad, but I have to admit the climbing is a concern (nearly 8000ft over 85 miles).

How do they derive the categories (gold/silver/bronze)? Do they take the fastest rider as a benchmark and then work them out or are there set times?

I wish I'd seen this advertised better as I might of added it to the list for this year.

Usually there are set times for each age group and gender.

Hope you enjoy it Dave.

OP
OP
Dave G

Dave G

I saw it on Cyclosport.org (IIRC)........a good site with a comprehensive list of events on a month by month basis.

OP
OP
Dave G

Dave G

Tough 26x25, tough.

My average HR over the 6.5 hours it took me to complete the course was 151 (78% max). I achieved a new max HR of 193 on the first climb!

Pleased I did it though, and hope to ride the Wyre Forest Stinger as my follow up event!

Owen

FoD Classic

Unfortunately the results are not yet out but will be shortly. The Timekeepers grandmother died and he was unable to attend the ride. The fastest I have heard of unofficially was 4 hrs 15 min, about ten minutes better than last year. Hope to see everyone next year.

Top Bottom