Forget (most of) What You’ve Heard About The Effects of Ageing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm trying to remember what it is that I've heard, so that I can forget it. But I seem to have beaten myself to it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have only skimmed over the report but much of it does relate to me.
Those regarded as aged in the report are really youngsters in my eyes
Over the last few years my stamina has deteriorated and I find “bad days” very common after exertion. If I do more than two consecutive days of exercise of any kind the next day might be ok but the day after that tends to be more collapse than anything else.
The guy who has done Lejog at age 90 is an exception based on luck and genetics. I certainly would not even consider it now tho’ I am not far behind him in age. Up to about 5 years ago it would have been possible but deterioration comes very quickly.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was aged prematurely by 2 years of blood clotting in my lungs in my mid-50s and now my actual age (coming on 68) is starting to become a factor on top of that damage.

The thing is though, I don't really push myself hard enough to find out what the true picture is now. I will try to ride 2-3 times the distance next year and with more intensity. Either something will give out, or I will get much fitter! :laugh:

Jameshow

Veteran
I did give the running club A team guys a good run last night, the young guys (20yrs younger) weren't going full pelt and the older race winner wasn't there.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The guy who has done Lejog at age 90 is an exception based on luck and genetics.

Oh I hadn’t read about his luck or an analysis of his genetics. Have you got a link to that?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Oh I hadn’t read about his luck or an analysis of his genetics. Have you got a link to that?

Not based on any link but based on my own observation of the aged as well as my own experience.
If parents live to really old age your own chances of doing the same increase and luck comes in avoiding anything which would tend to an earlier death or infirmity.
Seems a reasonable theory to me. I could do the same if I had not had the misfortune to develop conditions which limit the amount of reasonable execise I can do.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Not based on any link but based on my own observation of the aged as well as my own experience.
If parents live to really old age your own chances of doing the same increase and luck comes in avoiding anything which would tend to an earlier death or infirmity.
Seems a reasonable theory to me. I could do the same if I had not had the misfortune to develop conditions which limit the amount of reasonable execise I can do.

Science currently says that genetics only accounts for up to 25% of differences in longevity. That leaves a whopping 75% (or more) of it down to the life you lead and the environments in which you lived. I would say there’s far more that you can do to influence this, than traditionally thought. Particularly if you start early enough. The latest science is agreeing.

Masters athletics records are improving at far faster rates than any records in younger age groups. What it means to age well is being redefined.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
f I do more than two consecutive days of exercise of any kind the next day might be ok but the day after that tends to be more collapse than anything else.
Hey, I'm only 60 and I've been feeling like that for years, so I think you're doing very well, you're in your 80's, correct @oldwheels?
By exercise I mean something like a 100k daily bike tour, or a hilly 4 hour ride, or a 10 mile walk, or a heavy gardening session.
I'm still OK doing my 3 mile ride to work, a 9 hour (manual work) shift, then some light gardening the next day.

Top Bottom