Forgot how good old steel bikes are to ride .... Steel is the real thing :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
thanks @Fab Foodie for the mention hope you enjoy it , if you confirm its 27.2 stem i might have one we could do a postal swap on
Hi, biggs682, that sounds great! It is a 27.2. Umm err, what length post do you have?
Am travelling from early morn but will try to give you a call on my return leg.

Cheers, FF.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I worked many hours in Sainsbury's, mainly Saturdays, when I was at school to buy a Holdsworth Cyclone (1966 model still current in 1967) The only bike I've ridden more comfortable than that was a 1969 Holdsworth Mistral. That bike did TTs, touring, commuting, and anything else I asked it to. Give me the person who stole it and I'll be spending some time being looked after at Her Majesty's expense...

The bike you've bought FF is from a later era of the company but they were still very fine bikes.

You nearly didn't get that bike, but I was informed that if I wanted it I had to sell my Dawes Horizon, and I was still considering the matter when you jumped in and bought it!

Enjoy it. It looks the part and from your description it's a bike that just wants to be ridden.

Hi sorry I pipped you to the post, but she's at least gone to a good home.
From my short test runs (I've lowered the bars too a bit since that picture) she rides a treat and feels just the way I like a bike to ride. A feeling that I've not had on any other bike since I was riding the very old Holdsworth. Lurvelly.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Indeed the power of dreams....as a lad growing up in the 70's I lusted for a racing bike .....but it had to have a Reynolds 531 frame. It was just a pipe dream (not that I ever smoked a pipe!)
As an adult I finally got a Claud Butler Dalesman in Reynolds 631 tubing, and lovely it was too.......but my dream had been for a 531 frame so that's what I had to have. In the end it was an eBay bargain Falcon Westminster from the 80's which I picked up for £61.
It was in as new condition - but needed new tyres and tubes. It didn't reach a good price because the seller failed to mention 531 anywhere on the listing. I know many people. in the know would say it was at the bottom end of the 531 .market but to me she is a pleasure to behold. Shame I can't ride her anymore - but I am too fond of her to let her go.

Last edited:

stumpy66

Veteran
Ive a Holdsworth set up on my turbo, i rescued it from a river bed, its in good condition considering, no idea what model or form when tho. Any ideas how to identify it

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Fab Foodie have had a look and the longest 27.2 i have is a 180mm which i guess is too short , can pick up a longer for you if you want when next in lbs but might not be till next week

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

@Fab Foodie have had a look and the longest 27.2 i have is a 180mm which i guess is too short , can pick up a longer for you if you want when next in lbs but might not be till next week
Thanks Biggs68s, but that would be too short. No worries, they're readily available online. just need to get around to ordering one!

Cyclist33

Ive got a 27.2 x 400mm post. Well its aluminium so I dunno if thats what you want...

Bought new bur used like once as I switched to a carbon one.

Truvativ stylo. Ten quid plus postage..?

Stu

CharlesF

Guru
After looking at tyres, and asking advice here, I have decided there is no way to improve the ride on my Ridgeback Flight 2.

Instead I spent the morning at Billy Bilsland where they lent me a Croix de Fer to try for size. Its about 40 years since I was last on a road bike but I found I adapted very quickly. The test bike was straight off the floor and the brakes weren't that good but they had warned me before I set off that they hadn't been adjusted.

What a joy; after a good ride through and around Glasgow Green I was back at the shop and ordered Croix's little brother, the CdF. Adding 4 Season tyres, peddles and mudguards brought it just over the C2W max.

I can't wait til next Saturday and to be back on a steel bike. The Croix is much lighter that the Flight, so I reckon the CdF will be as well. Its about 40 years since I was last on a road bike but I found I adapted very quickly.

Top Bottom