Forgotten how to put it back together.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well? Have you tried again?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Nah! I sent a series of panicked text messages to him at work saying I'd ruined his bike! He came home, calmly sorted it out and then started on mine! Result!
Yeahbut: did you watch and learn? Was the problems because the back wheel was not properly sat in the dropouts? Tell us more!

Brains

Legendary Member
Go the local dump or local charity shop, buy a bike, it does not matter too much if it's a kids bike, as long as it's got gears.
Strip the bike down one section at a time and reassemble it, replacing worn stuff as you go along.
Flog the finished result on e-bay for whatever you can get for it.

The lesson here is not how to make a profit (although you may) but how to fix most things on a bike.
I did this aged about 12, it took me most of a summer holiday and with advice (but not help) from the builders of the house next door.
(It helps to have a similar working bike so that you can compare what it's supposed to look side by side)

I've since done roadside repairs of cassettes, chains, wheels, frames and racks with minimal tools, and once, with no warning, to the amazement of Shannon Airport staff stripped down two bikes inside 20 minutes in order to fit them into a box for flying home.
The only thing I've never managed to get right is gear cables, and I can get you home, but not necessarily with all the gears all the time

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Yeahbut: did you watch and learn? Was the problems because the back wheel was not properly sat in the dropouts? Tell us more!
I think it wasn't in the drop out. He just slotted it in and it was ok after that.
Then we got mine on the stand he changed the tyres while I did a bit of fettling.
When we got it down the front wheel jammed - inner tube was bulging so deflated it, repositioned it, re-inflated it, it exploded!
Took it off did it all again! Then the brakes need adjusting.
Got it all sorted in the end, but I seemed to have spent most of the day bike tinkering and was thoroughly tired of it!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
inner tube was bulging so deflated it, repositioned it, re-inflated it, it exploded!
I once had 3 explosions after some over vigorous pumping of Miss Goodbody's clinchers. :ohmy:

Top Bottom