Fork judder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian a 17

Hi all hope everyone is OK
I'm new on here but have an question just bought a boardman mountain bike from halfords,and have noticed every time I brake I get bad fork judder at bottom of forks.
I took it back in to halfords and the man said it was normal as the forks are hollow at the bottom ,I have never had this problem or heard of it before any advise would be great thanks.

Gillstay

Über Member
Check if everything is tight at the top. If you pull the front brake on and rock the bike back and forth is there any play with the top head race or is it just at the bottom ?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Halford are talking rubbish. You've paid good money for something that sounds like it hasn't been pdi'd properly. As above take it back and get them to do it properly.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It could be anything from the headset wrongly assembled or/and badly adjusted, to faulty brakes, or the wheel bearings needing attention.
But, there should not be any shudder.

Stephenite

Membå
I used to get this fork judder when braking on a Kona Jake the Snake cyclocross with carbon forks. It was a known issue with the bike according to online forums. I cured it by swapping out the road bike style short in length brake blocks with longer length mtn bike v-brake blocks.

The OP could try googling the bike and 'fork judder' and see if there are any hits.

As the others say though might be best to exchange the bike or get your money back.

OP
OP
I

Ian a 17

Check if everything is tight at the top. If you pull the front brake on and rock the bike back and forth is there any play with the top head race or is it just at the bottom ?

When I hold brake on and rock bike feels and sounds like knocking in the head

DRM

Guru
When I hold brake on and rock bike feels and sounds like knocking in the head

Do the same and hold the head bearings caps to see if you can feel movement, it may just need adjusting

OP
OP
I

Ian a 17

Do the same and hold the head bearings caps to see if you can feel movement, it may just need adjusting

No movement in the mean time have rang halfords but can't speak to stores but man on phone says if check in store everything is OK I told him I don't feel comfortable on bike ad have no control when front braking and when I spoke to an independent bike store near me he laughed when I said it's natural like abs on a car , I'm just looking up my rights as a customer

OP
OP
I

Ian a 17

Can you show us a pic of the bike. I just want to make sure they've actually put the forks on the right way round

16933860360388388316622755179404.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully

Thanks. Silly question I know, but it's been known to happen

With that eliminated (and reading your post since) I'm guessing the headset is loose and needs adjusting

You can do this yourself (it's simple and there's plenty of YouTube vids on how to do it) or take it back to them and let them do it (if you want to risk it).

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Also have you bedded in the brake pads. Do this on the street near home (somewhere quiet). The judder will still happen. You need to brake hard a number of times, but don't fully stop. Check the headset first and there is no rocking/clunking when front brake pulled.

Jody

Stubborn git
What are you classing as judder as you are telling Halfords you have no control when braking. Is it a noise, visual, feel?

Is it a pulsing feeling when the front brake applied like the brake is grabbing more? Or are you describing fork flex (with Halfords pointing to the lowers being hollow)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I used to get this fork judder when braking on a Kona Jake the Snake cyclocross with carbon forks. It was a known issue with the bike according to online forums. I cured it by swapping out the road bike style short in length brake blocks with longer length mtn bike v-brake blocks.

The OP could try googling the bike and 'fork judder' and see if there are any hits.

As the others say though might be best to exchange the bike or get your money back.

Judder on cantilever brakes is "a thing" when it has a long cable run, however OP is on discs.

It sounds like the headset is loose.

i take it back to halfords and make a right noisy fuss until they replace it or sort it out.

Top Bottom