Fork judder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
I think you're doing Halfords' job for them for free, but if you're bent on it I'd be looking for free play in the headset, suspension fork legs, axle, brake disc, or calliper, and failing that, contaminated disc and/or brake pads. If you're cleaning the disc, make sure you don't use anything that leaves an oily residue, like white spirit.

Jody

Stubborn git
My money is on the brakes not being bedded correctly or machining pattern on the disc

Jody

Stubborn git
And or a bit of contamination. Brake disc cleaner.

I would expect contamination to cause poor performance or noise.

That's why I asked what the OP feels is judder as it can cover anything from a loose headset, fork bushes, brake issues. There isn't enough info to help them.

Halfords blaming the fork lowers would suggest it isn't the headset so could be flex in the stanchions when braking or an issue with the front disc. Or the guy at Halfords isn't very knowledgable and is trying to blag his way out the query.

DRM

Guru
Also have you bedded in the brake pads. Do this on the street near home (somewhere quiet). The judder will still happen. You need to brake hard a number of times, but don't fully stop. Check the headset first and there is no rocking/clunking when front brake pulled.

I asked the OP to check for free play in the head set bearings further up, they came back saying there’s no movement at the bearings

OP
OP
I

Ian a 17

Thanks guys all sorted halfords change brake pads and clean disc also soften the air forks and seems all good thanks for advice everyone

Top Bottom