1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fork Me!

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by twowheelsgood, 10 Oct 2007.

1. twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood Senior Member

Hi folks, I need a better fork.

I have a 2004 Gary Fisher Cake 3 with disks which despite it's faults is so much fun to ride and I love to pieces.

It came with a Manitou black fork that basically just has pre-load control and really needs to be replaced with something better.

I'm looking for recommendations for something with 120mm of travel, with a lock-out and a bit more in the way of adjustment. Something with the option of a stiffer spring-kit or an air/half-air fork (I'm 90kg) to achieve the same is also important.

A wind-down to 100mm or below would also be nice.

Any takers? I regularly travel to the states so cost may not be such an issue....

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Nah, but Fnaar will. Ooops, sorry, I thought it said "Pork me":blush::blush:

3. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

either fox or marzocchi.

4. ratty2k

ratty2k New Member

Dont discount Rockshox either though, getting very good reviews.

5. Peyote

Peyote New Member

Or if you like the stealth look there's always Pace, I believe Magura is producing some quality kit these days too. Manitou have been a bit dodgy the past few years so I'd avoid them, but then they could have a resurgence this year, it happened to Rockshox.

6. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

these area bit of a bargain. might be 05, but still a quality fork

7. ransos

ransos Legendary Member

I've had a couple of manitou forks over the years, and I never liked either of them. For great reliability, solid performance & lowish prices Marzocchi are the way to go I think. If you want to spend a bit more, Fox. If you want stealth looks & light weight, Pace, but they can be a bit fragile. Rock Shox have supposedly sorted themselves out now and may be worth a look.

I have Pace RC41 XCAMs on my bike - 130mm travel but they have "launch control" which compresses the fork down for climbs - and then re-extends when they hit a bump. I find it works very well, and the forks are incredibly light - 3.5 lbs!

8. twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. Steve, those look a great buy.

I'm no great MTB expert, but it's reassuring that many I speak too also seem to regard manitou forks the same way. I recently borrowed a hardtail with a Fox TALAS (I think) and a friend set it up for me - wow what a difference to the flappy thing I've got....

9. lardarse rider

lardarse rider Well-Known Member

I have Magura Menja forks on my bike. They seem to be very good but, they are the first suspension forks I have ever owned so have nothing to compare them with. They do very well in reviews and that, though.

10. Rockshox Revelation. I just got a set after years of struggling with Pace RC40 reliability problems. They are a bombproof all mountain fork ranging from 100 - 130mm (the U-Turn system winds the travel up and down), with external damping adjustment too. They are coil not air, so are very plush. Theyr'e not meant to be a light racing fork, but they're a very good all rounder. My other half has had some Marzocchi All Mountain SLs but the air settings are a pain to get right, and the others take an age to wear in. I'd stay away from Magura or Manitou.