Fork mounted hanger with full mudguards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hawk

Veteran
Hi all,

I got a Specialized TriCross 2012 a few weeks ago, absolutely loving it, nice quick bike compared to what I'm used to :biggrin: loving it.

It does have a seemingly notorious problem with front-brake judder. I have changed brake pads to KoolStop Salmons (perfect for the wet Scottish conditions) which has reduced the problem vastly, but I am really looking to eliminate it - one less thing to worry about when riding through heavy Glasgow traffic.

I have heard that the judder is caused due to the bending of the carbon forks under braking, causing some oscillation in the brake cable thus producing a dangerous varying brake-force. It seems this can be eliminated by installing a fork-mounted cable hanger.

The hole in the fork required for the hanger is seemingly the same one I currently use for full-wheel mudguards of this type http://www.primocycles.co.uk/ekmps/...-x-20-28mm-wheels-2125-p[ekm]200x200[ekm].jpg
Is it possible to fit both a fork-mounted hanger and such mudguards?

Secondly, my brake cables are of the standard type - a metal wire surrounded by a flexible steel outer housing. This cable runs from my brake pedal to the stop, currently just below my handebars.
I imagine that if I instead use a hanger at the level of the fork, I will require more of this outer housing. I don't feel I need to purchase new brake cables at present so is there any way I can obtain just the housing? Not sure where to look is all!

Cheers for reading and thanks for your help

The bolt for the brakes should be long enough to easily hold the few mm mudguard mount, mine does anyway.
You can buy outers separate from inner cable but you'll need to cut the inners anyway to install the longer outer, you might be able to lop the end cap off but you may also have fraying problems too; for the cost of a new inner cable (circa £2) its probably just as easy to replace them too.

Top Bottom