Fork Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jude3223

Regular
My current fork has 80mm of travel, if i was to upgrade to 100mm would it mess up the geometry?
I have it in the large size
Thanks, Jude
g17_Aggressor_2.1468841691.jpg

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What's the fork you have now, and what are you thinking of upgrading to ?

Yes it will affect the geometry ! How much depends. If you have a basic sprung fork that's at 80mm travel, and upgrade to an air fork with adjustable sag, then you'll probably get away with it, as an air fork, you set sag to 20-30% (which is 20-30cm on a 100mm fork). Your sprung fork might not 'sag' the same.

OP
OP
J

jude3223

Regular
What's the fork you have now, and what are you thinking of upgrading to ?

Yes it will affect the geometry ! How much depends. If you have a basic sprung fork that's at 80mm travel, and upgrade to an air fork with adjustable sag, then you'll probably get away with it, as an air fork, you set sag to 20-30% (which is 20-30cm on a 100mm fork). Your sprung fork might not 'sag' the same.
Currently i have All Terra CH-565 forks, im thinking of upgrading to RockShox 30 Gold RL Solo Air Forks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A fair upgrade. Check how much sag you get when on the bike now. Rubber band on stanchion, and see how much it moves when you sit on the bike.

You'll probably get away with it moving from spring to air. It's not usually recommended.

You'll notice the upgrade just to air, but do bear in mind the additional maintenance.

Also double check the headset size - your GT is 1-1/18 and doesn't mention tapered, so ensure the new forks aren't tapered (usually 1-1/18 top and 1-1/4 lower bearing if tapered)

My son's SR Suntour spring 100mm forks don't sag much when you sit on the bike, but my RS Revelations are set to sag about 25%, so being 130mm they compress about 33mm. So you could get away with an air fork at 20mm more.

OP
OP
J

jude3223

Regular
A fair upgrade. Check how much sag you get when on the bike now. Rubber band on stanchion, and see how much it moves when you sit on the bike.

You'll probably get away with it moving from spring to air. It's not usually recommended.

You'll notice the upgrade just to air, but do bear in mind the additional maintenance.

Also double check the headset size - your GT is 1-1/18 and doesn't mention tapered, so ensure the new forks aren't tapered (usually 1-1/18 top and 1-1/4 lower bearing if tapered)

My son's SR Suntour spring 100mm forks don't sag much when you sit on the bike, but my RS Revelations are set to sag about 25%, so being 130mm they compress about 33mm. So you could get away with an air fork at 20mm more.
The fork im looking at says its 1.1/8, is that the same as my gt's 1-1/18? Sorry i only started mountain biking recently

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
Forks aren't cheap are they....

I can rember a workmate coming back from Leeds after spending £2000 on his down hill bike (San Andreas?) nearly 20 years ago.

Looked in his car and there was just a frame and some forks, not even a whole bike!.

OP
OP
J

jude3223

Regular
You didn't, I was just saying it's a good upgrade. My suspension forks, rear shock and brakes cost more that the whole bike I bought. If I bought them in bits, as cheap as possible, I still would not have had a bike.
Ok thanks for clarifying, i think im going to take the same approach as you and keep upgrading parts

By local trail in hadleigh do you mean the trail centre ie ex olympic track, black runs etc?. Doable on the 80mm fork, lot easier on a full susser I am told, I just put up with my hardtail with 80mm of suspension though. If you are a member of Hadleigh MTB club there is lots of knowledge there with the coaches etc. NB there is a nice local MTB race going on at Potash woods tomorrow at 11:40 post code SS4 1PL good place to make contacts and speak to some experienced MTBers and have a go.( there will be some semi clueless people like me there as well)

OP
OP
J

jude3223

Regular
By local trail in hadleigh do you mean the trail centre ie ex olympic track, black runs etc?. Doable on the 80mm fork, lot easier on a full susser I am told, I just put up with my hardtail with 80mm of suspension though. If you are a member of Hadleigh MTB club there is lots of knowledge there with the coaches etc. NB there is a nice local MTB race going on at Potash woods tomorrow at 11:40 post code SS4 1PL good place to make contacts and speak to some experienced MTBers and have a go.( there will be some semi clueless people like me there as well)
Yeah the ex Olympic track, i have a friend in Hadleigh MTB club so i guess ill ask him about it and check it out

Top Bottom