Fork Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you turn up I'll see you there, join the club lots of rides going on and when you buy some forks lots of places give you a discount with your membership. Sorry I can't be much help with the geometry question.

20mm is about 1 degree of difference in the head angle, provided everything else is the same, such as sag and fork length. I think it'll probably be fine.

Jody

Stubborn git
20mm will make very little difference to how the bike rides. It will slow the steering down a touch and make it a little bit more stable when going downhill on rough ground. If you have spacers under your stem you can swap them on top so your riding position doesn't change. Swapping to some nice air forks is always worth it. More adjustable and the ride feels so much better.

OP
OP
J

jude3223

Regular
Thanks for all your responses. This may be another obvious question but it says the forks maximum rotor size is 180mm, does that mean it will work with everything up to 180mm? For instance will it work with my 160mm rotor

Jody

Stubborn git
Yes provided you have the correct caliper mount. The fork limit just means it cannot withstand the force created by larger 200mm discs.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Another thought: be careful buying that upgrade fork; many of them now are tapered (fork is bigger at the lower end of the steerer tube), so if you have an old 1 1/8 straight steerer tube, it will not fit. And fwiw, it is the way forks are going -I just upgraded my old old 1990's mtb last year with a Manitou R7 -I didn't have much choice for a straight steerer with QRs (at least over here) -though since I only paid about 150 quid including shipping and it's an excellent fork for me, it worked out nicely).

Another issue is to be careful to purchase a fork for the right type of wheel you have -e.g. if you have the old style QR dropouts versus the new through axle design, you may need a new through axle hub laced up...... Again, I think you'll be getting less and less choices of QR as time goes on.

I was definitely fortunate to get my Manitou when I did for a straight steerer and QR; I don't anticipate upgrading the fork again as when I'm ready, I wonder if there will be any straight steerer/QR forks left on the market.

Last edited:
Top Bottom