Formula for how hard a ride is?

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
He means an average of 2.5% over the whole ride. I'm assuming that for these purposes, going downhill counts as flat

Going downhill counts as negative. Thus go down a 10% slope that is a climb ratio of -10%. You can have a climb with lots of 15% climbs that ends up as 1% overall unless you purposely try to avoid riding along any valleys at any point.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
2.5% is 2,500m over 100km. (8,200' in 62 miles) That's definitely not flat. :smile:
Like this one...

SoM full profile.gif

As you can see - there is hardly any flat on that audax route, and much of the climbing IS pretty steep. I used that route to work out my formula, since it feels at least twice as hard as a flat metric century ridden at the same speed. (Roughly 2,500 m of ascent in just over 100 km.)

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
When someone tells me the ride is going to be hard, I don't worry about the climbs per se, I want to know the pace - that is what dictates how hard the ride will be.
agree 100%
I tend to ride alone, so I determine the pace. Tend to go off HR, or by keeping an eye on the power meter, or the pace. Depends on lumpiness and how the Wahoo happens to be set up

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Like this one...

View attachment 702631

As you can see - there is hardly any flat on that audax route, and much of the climbing IS pretty steep. I used that route to work out my formula, since it feels at least twice as hard as a flat metric century ridden at the same speed. (Roughly 2,500 m of ascent in just over 100 km.)

When I was doing your "shortest non repeating route for 1,000m" challenge in 2021 the best I managed was 2.8% over 40km. Steep, but as it was only 40k, doable.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How does that look if you draw it to scale?
The scale question is obviously relevant. I didn't plot that Season of Mists profile to make it look gnarlier than it is - I always adjust the vertical scale in my mapping software to show the 50 metre intervals as small as they will go. Any more compressed and the scale changes to 100 metre intervals.

Here is a comparison with the Manchester 100 profile with vertical and horizontal scales adjusted to match...

SoM vs M100.png

Season of Mists has around 2,500 m of ascent in just over 100 km; Manchester 100 has around 1,000 m of ascent in around 100 miles/160-ish km. My best time in both events was around 6 hours using about the same amount of effort, but the steep hills on SoM killed my legs more.

SoM is extremely hilly, with many climbs at 10%, 15%, 20%, and even a stretch of 25%; M100 is flattish-to-undulating with very few ramps as steep as 10%.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Going downhill counts as negative. Thus go down a 10% slope that is a climb ratio of -10%. You can have a climb with lots of 15% climbs that ends up as 1% overall unless you purposely try to avoid riding along any valleys at any point.

No. Overall ascent means just that. The number if metres ascended. Descent is not considered at all.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
He means an average of 2.5% over the whole ride. I'm assuming that for these purposes, going downhill counts as flat, as otherwise all loops would have an average of zero.
You assume correctly. For these purposes only ascent is of interest. Going downhill is just ignored. It doesn't really count as flat, (and certainly not as negative) It just It just doesn't count at all.

Alex321

Veteran
You assume correctly. For these purposes only ascent is of interest. Going downhill is just ignored. It doesn't really count as flat, (and certainly not as negative) It just It just doesn't count at all.

I would have assumed it counted as part of the distance, which is why I suggested flat. If it doesn't count against the distance either, that makes a significant difference to the formula.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I would have assumed it counted as part of the distance, which is why I suggested flat. If it doesn't count against the distance either, that makes a significant difference to the formula.

You're over complicating things. Only two figures are needed. Total ascent (the total height gained) and total distance. These are the ones that are easily available on Strava etc. Jost take those two figures and divide one by the other.

Keep it simple.

No need to worry about height lost, distance travelled while losing height, or in the flat.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
You're over complicating things. Only two figures are needed. Total ascent (the total height gained) and total distance. These are the ones that are easily available on Strava etc. Jost take those two figures and divide one by the other.

Keep it simple.

No need to worry about height lost, distance travelled while losing height, or in the flat.

Have reflected on this. I was training for an event using a mixture of outdoor routes and turbo sessions. I wanted to manage my effort and training load sign Wednesdays very interested in working out how hard a route would/could be.

I think your formula is very useful - ours one of my few bookmarks, but think it reflects the minimum or potential hardness of a route. As others have pointed out it is still possible to make a flat route very hard for yourself by increasing your pace/intensity/normalised power.

I recently did a route that was 69km at 1%. But I pushed hard as I had left the dog at home and wanted to do it under 3 hours. If I had ridden it with my friend it would have taken 3.5 hours, at least. Same route, but my pace and effort made it harder.

Screenshot_20230816_073636.jpg

This is a typical elevation profile for around our parts. My route described above (admittedly compressed by Strava phone app to make it look even harder).

Having said that, once routes start to get above, say 1.5% it is likely that the minimum effort required to do them and the difference with actual effort is less for any given rider.

Last edited:
Top Bottom