Forth and Clyde Canal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joemaxi

I`ve got a day off work on Monday and was thinking of getting the train to Bowling and cycling along the Forth and Clyde canal to Grangemouth. It`s quite handy as I only live about 2 miles away from the actual end of the canal.I was looking on Google maps and it appears that the path runs along the right hand side of the canal but the canal appears to branch into 2 parts at Maryhill and from what I can gather,I want the left hand fork but the path follows the right:wacko:

I know I`m probably being a bit thick(how hard can it be to follow a canal??) but is there a sign or something to get me acros to the other bank? After Maryhill,the path is on the left hand side all the way to Grangemouth.

Has anybody done this route? How long is it?

Thanks in advance guys!

Bowling and cycling along the Forth and Clyde canal

Now that would be some feat. :biggrin:

Brandane

Legendary Member
If you get to the home of the best football team in Glasgow (that'll be Firhill then :biggrin:) you know you've gone too far. It then takes you to the old whisky bonds at Port Dundas where the canal ends.

I was along the canal from the Erskine Bridge to the city centre a couple of weeks ago. I saw signs for the F&C canal, but can't remember exactly where they are. It IS signposted though. IIRC you leave the canal path, go down onto a road (Lochburn Road on satellite image) that takes you under the canal, then back up onto the F&C..

Pardon my techie stupidity; if this works I'll be amazed! Google maps satellite image...... http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=55.892124,-4.286513&spn=0.005366,0.013626&t=h&z=16

snorri

Legendary Member
joemaxi said:
Has anybody done this route?
I followed that route a year ago, and seem to remember there was a track from the canal path taking you up to Lochburn Road and crossing the canal by the road bridge.
Someone will be along soon with better local knowledge.:biggrin:

Edit That's more or less what brandane said:blush:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
sorry not much help on the western part of the Canal, we've only been as far as Banknock where the Canal goes under the A80 :biggrin:. Must do that some time soon ...

Good to "see" you on CC again JoeMaxi, I thought you had disappeared!
How was Bletchley Park? Hope you can make one of the next CC Ecosse rides, you just missed one yesterday ... hopefully somebody will start another thread soon!

T

OP
OP
joemaxi

joemaxi

Bletchley Park was great-well,atleast the outside of it was:sad:

I ended up being a taxi for a couple of days and never managed to go in!

As for the canal run,I think I`ll give it a miss tomorrow as,according to the canal website,part of the path is still closed.

I`ll just go out for a cycle and see wher I end up..............:laugh:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland

soulful dog

Veteran
According to this page on VisitScotland, it's 35 miles long from Bowling to the end of the canal at the River Carron in Falkirk. And just to confirm what Brandane and snorri posted, it is very clearly signposted at the split. Just remember you have to come off the path and go under the canal, when you come back up you'll have switched over onto the left hand side of the canal.

What part of the path is supposed to be closed? I can only find mention of a closure between Bilsland Drive and Maryhill Fire Station, which is a very small section and is on the fork of the canal that heads down past Firhill, so won't have any affect on anyone heading East, or am I mistaken?

OP
OP
joemaxi

joemaxi

Thanks for all the info guys!

That was the route I intended to do today but at the last minute,I switched canals!:blush:

I ended up cycling from my home in Grangemouth,up to Polmont and along the Union Canal into Edinburgh city centre and caught the train home.I might have considered cycing back but I had to pick my son up from school. It was a great cycle,the weather was spot on-not blisteringly hot but not too cold.The best bit was catching up to a girl running in a tiny top and very small shorts-I could have stayed behind her all day but she noticed me and moved over to let me past:evil:.

I also cycled past Sleekitcollie and his family,but as we haven`t met yet,I only found out when I sent him a text and told him where I was!

Not too sure how long a ride it was but I really enjoyed it!

sleekitcollie

joemaxi said:
Thanks for all the info guys!

That was the route I intended to do today but at the last minute,I switched canals!:blush:

I ended up cycling from my home in Grangemouth,up to Polmont and along the Union Canal into Edinburgh city centre and caught the train home.I might have considered cycing back but I had to pick my son up from school. It was a great cycle,the weather was spot on-not blisteringly hot but not too cold.The best bit was catching up to a girl running in a tiny top and very small shorts-I could have stayed behind her all day but she noticed me and moved over to let me past:evil:.

I also cycled past Sleekitcollie and his family,but as we haven`t met yet,I only found out when I sent him a text and told him where I was!

Not too sure how long a ride it was but I really enjoyed it!
hey , i asw that girl as well we must have just missed you , im sure u would have sen the 3 of us riding together
glad u enjoyed the ride

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
joemaxi said:
... It was a great cycle,the weather was spot on-not blisteringly hot but not too cold.The best bit was catching up to a girl running in a tiny top and very small shorts-I could have stayed behind her all day but she noticed me and moved over to let me past:evil:.

Evidently you got to close, you need to get a helmet cam and just keep a bit further back, magnatom showed perfect mastery of the technique on the first CC PfS ride, maybe he could give you some hints. :blush:

Now what ever happened to that video mags?? xx(

sleekitcollie

sleekitcollie said:
hey , i asw that girl as well we must have just missed you , im sure u would have sen the 3 of us riding together
glad u enjoyed the ride

OMG i know my spelling is really bad but last post was from I Phone .. i think i need glasses or smaller fingers :ohmy:

OP
OP
joemaxi

joemaxi

It's ok-I use the iPhone quite a bit as well!

It's a great phone to type with, once you get the hang of the 2 thumb method!!!

Are you working next Friday? I fancy doing the Bowling to Grangemouth part of the forth and Clyde. I don't have to pick my son up from school that day so we could leave at what ever time suits you.

If anybody else fancies this trip, let me know!!

I live in Grangemouth so can get a few cars in my driveway. £8.80 for a single train ticket from polmont to Bowling and then a nice ride back along the canal!!

Day or evening-I'm not to bothered!

sleekitcollie

joemaxi said:
It's ok-I use the iPhone quite a bit as well!

It's a great phone to type with, once you get the hang of the 2 thumb method!!!

Are you working next Friday? I fancy doing the Bowling to Grangemouth part of the forth and Clyde. I don't have to pick my son up from school that day so we could leave at what ever time suits you.

If anybody else fancies this trip, let me know!!

I live in Grangemouth so can get a few cars in my driveway. £8.80 for a single train ticket from polmont to Bowling and then a nice ride back along the canal!!

Day or evening-I'm not to bothered!
sorry mate working as usual friday night . monday- friday start 5.30pm - finish 8.30 am
hope u enjoy and pls let me know route info as im doing that with the guy from work thats doing the charity ride http://www.derekcycle.comon wed
going from g/gow airport to cumbernauld via the canal route
cheers

Top Bottom