Forum/Cycling Acronyms and Abbreviations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It was used by Adrian but it meant "another subtle joke trampled".

I haven't read this whole thread but hopefully I'm not the first to point out that these are not all acronyms but mostly abbreviations. An acronym is where the initials are read as a word, such as RAM, radar, NATO or laser.
I've just edited the thread title to read Forum/Cycling Acronyms and Abbreviations.
You're welcome :biggrin:
(and yes, I know that acronyms are a sub-set of abbreviations...)

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
16 pages of abbreviations, we have no hope. Often easier and simpler to write out the phrase you want to use to save a lot of misinterpretation or confusion.

IDKWYJSPE

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
In all fairness, not all 16 pages are abbreviations - some of them are discussion.
Plus, they're searchable, so if you search DAMHIKT you'll get to Don't Ask Me How I Know That. Hopefully...

All uphill

Still rolling along
What is

FEF?

I've come across it on cycling subreddits.

TK421

Casual Extremist
I never realised it had to from a word, or be a pronounceable abbreviation:

Word or name that is formed by joining the first letters (or the first few letters) of a series of words. For example, DOS is the acronym for Disk Operating System. An acronym is pronounceable, whereas many other abbreviations are not.​

Am I the only one who's been making this mistake for years? :blush:
I haven't got all the way through yet but I have already realised that people are using the term abbreviation to refer to initialisms like TLA and BDC.

TK421

Casual Extremist
Just got through 16 pages and found both PEBCAK and SNAFU are missing.
Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard and an oldie but a goodie, Situation Normal, All Fluffed Up*

*family friendly version

TK421

Casual Extremist
That was updated long ago to PICNIC: problem in chair, not in computer.
Sorry, forgot about that.
There should be 'Problem Exists Between Seat And Steering Wheel' but I would say that as WVM who on occasion is a real PART.
Managed to get an acronym and an initialism in the same sentence! :laugh: LOL!

Top Bottom