Forum newbie saying hello.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pedallingpasty

Hello all, just signed up to your forum yesterday after suddenly getting my interest back in cycling. Was thinking about restoring a car, but found tinkering with bikes a lot better. Who needs another car anyway?
Just started commuting by bike again to work (about 5 miles each way) after a few years break from it. Though i did still get my mountain bike out now and again. At he moment will be getting my 'c' legs back ( sorry about that) and for a bit of fun, but may later have a look at joining a club.
Luckily my commute is mostly through urban areas and countryside, so last weeks start was nice at 5am.
Have attached some photos, probably not in order though.
Bkes include a Carrera Fury mtb, it was looking a bit sorry for it self when i looked at it a few weeks ago. So decided to do it up a bit as the frame is still very good. Fitted new wheels as the rims were worn out due to the braking, so converted to disc brakes at the same time. Have also converted to single speed by fitting 36/18 cogs after a lot of reading on the interwebby. Found this single speed thing by accident and i just thought i would try it out. So far pleased with the results, just a little frustrating downhill. This shall be my fun bike.
Blue bike is my cheap commuting bike, bought for £22 off ebay. Just had to service it, set up the gears and fit road tyres instead of the knobblies and so far all ok. Have found the 15 speeds plenty enough.
3rd one is another ebayer, gents 3 speed. Stripped off mudguards etc to lghten it. Also fitted different stem and handlebars as i found the originals too narrow (north road type i think).
Anyway, congratulations on a great forum. Found it very balanced and a good spread of topics.

Cheers, Craig.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Hi & :biggrin:

OP
OP
P

pedallingpasty

Thankyou Numbnuts, fortunately haven't suffered from them yet. But i do know what you mean, saddle position is very important :tongue:.
Just been out on a nice warm up on mtb for the commutes this week on nights. Managed to get a pair of trousers on that wouldn't fit in the winter, so its already paying off. Also just realised i have not driven car for 4 days, cannot find the bloody keys.
Looking forward in getting involved with forum, there seems to be a lot of great people on here.

Benthedoon

Welcome pedallingpasty,
I'm a fellow commuter not the longest ride in the world but definitely reaping the benefits and as for not driving your car for a few days Ive just sold mine (I let the wife keep hers though, school run for 4 kids is tricky on a pusher) I don't regret it one bit as 5am is a lovely time of day to be out on a bike.
I recently treated myself to a road bike after years on jump bikes and BMXs, such a difference in speed well worth considering.

OP
OP
P

pedallingpasty

Thankyou for welcomes.
Just got home, added another 5 miles i think going a different route. But feeling pretty good.
Benthedoon, funny enough was having a chat about getting a proper road bike with someone in work. He's getting fedup of someone flying past him every day, so looking himself. He also will be giving up one car.
I used to own a road bike a many years ago, but i used to break its back axle every couple of months. Usually going up a very steep hill in Plymouth on my daily commute, but i am sure materials have improved since then. So will probably have a look, just seen Chris Hoy on the news and he's not exactly small.
So i am sure it will support my weight ( about 110 kgs), also the roads around here are terrible at the moment. Maybe someone can advise if a sleek road bike will be strong enough for the daily commute ?

Cheers, Craig

Top Bottom