Forum ride: 100+ km in Cheshire. [DATE CHANGE] Sat, 1st July, 2023. Details to follow...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
***** ColinJ's forum rider tag list *****
Fellow forum riders, I am planning yet another ride!

@colly, @neil_merseyside, @Sea of vapours, @Domus, @Julia9054, @Spiderweb, @Slioch, @EasyPeez, @Kestevan, @Venod, @Soltydog, @NorthernDave, @Buck, @si_c, @videoman, @FrothNinja, @GuyBoden, @Vantage

If anybody wants their name to be added to the list, let me know. :smile:

(If anybody wants their name to be removed, let me know, but... :cry:)

NB Make sure that you have enabled tag alerts in your account preferences - HERE (tick 'mentions you in a message')

(Yes, I know some are already signed up for this ride, or can't make it, but I copy and paste the list from one ride to the next so I don't want to edit it.)
@GuyBoden and @Vantage are joining me. Anybody else who fancies a leisurely 103 km (64 mile) ride in Cheshire, post below. The ride will take place on 1st July unless the weather or the local railway network conspire against us!

There is a change of start/finish point this year - it will be Glazebrook station near Warrington, handy for Guy to ride to, and for Vantage, me, and anyone else coming by train from Manchester. Our train is scheduled to arrive at 09:37 so let's say meet at 09:40 with a view to setting off at 09:45.

We will cycle 6.5 km (4 miles) to Heatley via the Warburton toll bridge over the ship canal. From there we will do a 90 km (56 mile) clockwise loop. There will be a stop at Rose Farm cafe at about the halfway point.

It will not be a quick ride but the return trains are only every 2 hours so the aim is to get back to Glazebrook around 16:45 to catch the 17:11. If we allow (say) 1.5 hours total for stops, that means 5.5 hour of riding, an average moving speed of around 18.5 kmph (11.5 mph). I hope that will be okay for all taking part!

If for some reason we just miss the 17:11 train, I would be inclined to ride back into Manchester rather than hang about at Glazebrook for 2 hours. That would be around another 20 km (12.5 miles) which might be an issue for e-bike battery range... 77 miles on one charge would be pretty good, even riding fairly slowly on a flattish route?

A GPX file for the main route is attached below. I'll add one later for a ride back to Oxford Rd/Victoria stations in Manchester.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Cheshire forum ride from Glazebrook 2023 103 km.gpx
    122.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
As much as I would like to I have ''duties'' that day.

Buck

Guru
I’m not able to commit at the minute @ColinJ - just dealing with a lot of challenges around my older parent and their care.

But thanks for tagging me. If things change then I may be able to come along but not as it stands.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Can I vote for meeting at Walkden station? :whistle:

I am seeing potential problems on the trains on the 24th! I will get back to it tomorrow to clarify our options.

How about something different...? Train to Glazebrook and come into Cheshire via the Warburton toll bridge. Cheap from Bolton. It is a bit more expensive for me but it would keep the distance down. Only catch - we might have to do the ride on 1st July instead.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
How about something different...? Train to Glazebrook and come into Cheshire via the Warburton toll bridge. Cheap from Bolton. It is a bit more expensive for me but it would keep the distance down. Only catch - we might have to do the ride on 1st July instead.

That works for me :smile:

GuyBoden

Guru
I'm a definite for any of the dates, weather permitting, I don't go out cycling in the rain.

Warning: The Warburton toll bridge is 12p each way, but they only seem to collect the money at peak travel times, morning and evening. :laugh:

If you are going over the Warburton toll bridge, you could then reroute the ride through the nice Lymm Village and save doubling back on yourself getting to Dunham Massey. 👍

Lymm Village below:
1686641185773.jpeg

Edit: I only mentioned the 12p cost, because it seems a bit of a joke low price.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Ah. No it's been 12p for a few years now :smile:
I've never been charged on the bike. There was talk of it I believe but the idea was dropped. Something about a cyclist taking forever to get 12p. Having to remove gloves/mitts, dig around in pockets/digging out wallets etc. Too much faff.

GuyBoden

Guru
Ah. No it's been 12p for a few years now :smile:
I've never been charged on the bike. There was talk of it I believe but the idea was dropped. Something about a cyclist taking forever to get 12p. Having to remove gloves/mitts, dig around in pockets/digging out wallets etc. Too much faff.

I'm totally incorrect, the charge has not gone up yet, but there was a lot of talk about it.

See below:
"If approved, the plans could see the toll rise by more than 700% from 12p to the pricey sum of £1.

The bridge was first opened in 1863 and has charged a 12p toll since 1890.

The bridge is believed to have been the only private toll facility across England not to have asked for a toll increase since its original founding legislation."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ws/65m-upgrades-popular-bridge-could-21088492

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm totally incorrect, the charge has not gone up yet, but there was a lot of talk about it.

See below:
"If approved, the plans could see the toll rise by more than 700% from 12p to the pricey sum of £1.

The bridge was first opened in 1863 and has charged a 12p toll since 1890.

The bridge is believed to have been the only private toll facility across England not to have asked for a toll increase since its original founding legislation."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ws/65m-upgrades-popular-bridge-could-21088492

You maybe incorrect about the increase but cyclists have never been charged.

I had to smile yesterday as we reached Cartford Toll Bridge near Out Rawcliffe, Lancashire. 20p charge. We had a chat with the toll lady who told us they have had to start using a card reader as so few drivers carry cash these days.

A card reader for 20p. WOW!

Top Bottom