Forum ride - Central Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jassy-x

magnatom said:
No long now guys! :biggrin: I've gone a bought some new gloves just in case (I needed new gloves anyway), although they aren't as warm as I hoped (altrura night visons). I'll be getting some some glove liners shortly....

(Not that I think it will be cold of course!);)
...hey Mags...by the time you've hit the first hill, you'll no need to worry about keeping warm.....:biggrin:

jassy-x said:
...hey Mags...by the time you've hit the first hill, you'll no need to worry about keeping warm.....:biggrin:

Whadya mean first hill? You mean there are hills?!;)

Seriously though, even when I am working hard, I find my fingers get cold, so I want to be sure after a long ride that I can still feel them/use them/ have them!

Tetedelacourse said:
Did we agree 9.30 as a start time at Stirling Train station?

Yes. Will there be any traffic lights on this route for you to jump.......ok you may have had the backing of a police officer....:biggrin:

jassy-x

magnatom said:
Whadya mean first hill? You mean there are hills?!:biggrin:

Seriously though, even when I am working hard, I find my fingers get cold, so I want to be sure after a long ride that I can still feel them/use them/ have them!
....yes Mags, I aslo suffer a bit from cold fingers and toes, but what I really meant to say is that the pain from the hill climbing will soon take you're mind of you're frozen digit's....:biggrin::laugh:;)

jassy-x said:
....yes Mags, I aslo suffer a bit from cold fingers and toes, but what I really meant to say is that the pain from the hill climbing will soon take you're mind of you're frozen digit's....:biggrin::laugh:;)

Och, as I often say to younger members of my judo club... a bit of pain never hurt nobody! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

magnatom said:
Yes. Will there be any traffic lights on this route for you to jump.......ok you may have had the backing of a police officer....:smile:

:smile:

Sadly not many. I'll have to think of different misdemeanours to fuel the fire:biggrin: Actually, the stretch back from Carron Bridge to Stirling is fast if the conditions are right, I'm sure I'll give you some ammo there, if we make it that far:wahhey:

Improper use of smiley there, but I just like that one:thumbsup:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Mags, here's something I have found which may assist you in the keeping-the-hons-wurm department:

When out for walkies, I find that my hands are usually cold to start with. After my main body temp has risen and I feel 'warm inside' :ohmy:, I take my gloves OFF, thereby sending messages to my (admittedly small) brain that "HEY, the hands are cold, send warm blood !" After about 5 mins, I put my gloves back on - and hey, presto, warm hands for the rest of the walk ! Now a medically-related science chappie would be able to tell us why this works - all I know is that it does !

My brother used to do a similar thing when windsurfing .... on New Year's Day in Newcastle. Go out for 5 mins, do various quick tacks, gybes etc come back in, shove hands under warm/hot water and "it hurts like H*** but works - you have warm hands for the rest of the sail". :tired:

Try it on your commute and let me know if (why) it works.

OK, so who gets cold toes as well ????? :blush:

lazyfatgit

HLaB said:
9 suits me.

There's definitely more out there :tongue:, I think Melvil, noodley, Papercorn, habibi, Mr Grumpy, MichaelM, Lazyfatgit, Rab and Purple R to name a few, just check out bonj's map.

Hi All,

just stumbled across this thread - unfortunately i can't do 21st as i'm not yet fit enough after ruptured achilles earlier in the year.

i'll be up for something next year though.

hope you have a great ride.

No worries, we look forward to seeing you on another ride in the future!

So with less than a week to go are you all prepared? I've just purchased some glove liners just in case...

I'm keeping an eye on metcheck.....hmmmm:smile:

HLaB said:
Doesn't your knee give a more reliable forecast, what's it saying?

I forgot to ask, hold on......creak, creak, creak........

It says it will be colder, wetter and windier than it was on PfS. So that means it will be less than 18C, there will be more than 0.5mm rain and the wind will be above 5mph.

I'll almost guarantee myknee (TM) will be right!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
I forgot to ask, hold on......creak, creak, creak........

It says it will be colder, wetter and windier than it was on PfS. So that means it will be less than 18C, there will be more than 0.5mm rain and the wind will be above 5mph.

I'll almost guarantee myknee (TM) will be right!

My left wrist says it'll be about 2-3 degrees, with wind-chill making it feel more like -10 on the exposed higher ground. Remember your survival suits, foil blankets and flare guns, lads. And best pack a folding shovel for digging a snow-hole to shelter in until the rescue chopper arrives.... xx(:biggrin:

Top Bottom