Forum ride from Hebden Bridge, Sat 22nd Oct 2022, 52 km (33 miles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tempted by the Rolls San Marco @ColinJ
......................but I have a number of saddles kicking about so Someone else can jump in.^_^
San Marco Rolls, San Marco Rolls... get yer free San Marco Rolls 'ere!

Rolls saddle side view.jpg

Rolls saddle top view.jpg

Oh yes - a scratch on the top too!

Jameshow

Veteran
I hope to get to the ride so would love it if none else wants it?
I could bring something else?
I have a number of fast saddles!!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Regretting passing on this already.🤔

I hope to get to the ride so would love it if none else wants it?
I could bring something else?
I have a number of fast saddles!!

Ok, I'll bring it along and you 2 can decide between you.

I also have a very skinny light saddle which I don't get on with so I might bring that as well, but can we dump the saddles in somebody's car before we set off because I don't want to carry them around all day!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Out of curiosity, will I be the only (lazy ass cheatin barsteward) ebiker there?
I think so.

When we met before I remember you saying that you struggled to ride as fast as other people so I think it makes sense to get a bit of help now the technology is available.

If/when I need help one day, I would certainly buy an ebike.

There are a few places where I will probably ride faster than you down into a dip but then you will probably overtake me on the way up out the other side. ESPECIALLY at Mill Bank...! ('Bank' is a local code word for effing steep climb!)

The 'dip' in question... :whistle:

Mill Bank dip.png

:eek:

Domus

Guru
Sorry Colin, I'm out. :cry:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry Colin, I'm out. :cry:

Oh, that's a shame. Well, have a nice time at Grange then!

It will be getting a bit late in the year, but I was toying with the idea of offering a variation on my 'Trauma of Trawden' route as my last 2022 forum ride in a few weeks time*** if the weather is favourable AND I recover well from a tooth extraction at the start of November. That would be about the same distance and hilliness, cafe at the finish in Hebden Bridge. I'll see how I feel nearer the time.

*** Probably Sat, 12th November with second choice of the 19th.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
That's my Choo Choo booked. I'll be rolling into hebby about 10.15 if the driver doesn't strike or leaves bring the train to a complete halt.
Cycle.travel tells me it's a 2 min ride to St.Georges Square. Gotta love it's optimism :laugh:
Depending on Royal Fail I'll either be on flat bars or drops.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That's my Choo Choo booked. I'll be rolling into hebby about 10.15 if the driver doesn't strike or leaves bring the train to a complete halt.
Some locals trains have been a bit iffy recently but most seem to be running ok now.

There are no reservations on those trains so if you happen to arrive at Manchester Victoria (?) and an earlier Hebden Bridge train is there, just hop on that.

Cycle.travel tells me it's a 2 min ride to St.Georges Square. Gotta love it's optimism :laugh:
I just checked. For some reason cycle.travel takes you via the roads. It is very unusual for it not to to take the quieter route, which is the one I chose for when we come back past the station. No real problem, but going through the park is nicer, and then coming in via Holme St and pedestrianised Bridge Gate.

2 minutes is a bit optimistic! Maybe 3-5?

++++++++++

I don't want to jinx us, but... Saturday is forecast to be the one dry, sunny day in a succession of wet, dreary ones! Fingers crossed... Still cool and breezy though, so don't forget those extra layers since we climb to some exposed places at significant elevation.

I will be cycling over from Todmorden and will aim to arrive at around 10:20. One point though... There is a short section of the A646 with a poor/no O2 signal. If I happened to get a puncture there I might struggle to let you know why I was late! If I were unlucky to have that happen I would probably walk the bike a few hundred metres out of the reception blackspot and then post a message below before making the repair.

If anybody else is going to be late (try not to be!), let us know below. There are various shortcuts that could be taken if you were so late that we had set off without you. We would wait a while, but not for hours!

If anybody is planning to join us unannounced, then make sure that you arrive early. It has only happened on one of my rides, but somebody once cycled 50+ kms to the starting point and intercepted us just as we were riding out of the start point car park! :wacko:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I just checked. For some reason cycle.travel takes you via the roads. It is very unusual for it not to to take the quieter route, which is the one I chose for when we come back past the station. No real problem, but going through the park is nicer, and then coming in via Holme St and pedestrianised Bridge Gate.
Ahh...didn't see the park route. Think I'll go that way instead. Thanks Colin :smile:
I've been seeing different forecasts all week for Saturday. Rain, showers, sun even.
Not bothered about riding in the wet but sitting in damp, soggy clothes on the train home? Ugh. Not looking forward to that.
I'm even considering investing in a cape at some point :eek:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I think the path through the park starts next to the Station Road Car Park, you can see the path on the pic below circled in red.:okay:

Hopefully, I'll park at the Station Road Car Park, if there are spaces.
View attachment 665246

Yes, that's the path. I rode up and down it yesterday. Follow one of the paths through the park, out the other end, then cross the little bridge over the canal and down to Holme St. If the traffic lights at the end don't change for you, press one of the pedestrian crossing buttons. I think that normally initiates a stop-go cycle at the lights.

Funnily enough, I looked at that car park yesterday, having never noticed it before. I think there used to be a gas pumping station there. [PS I just checked Street View looking in the opposite direction - there is a smaller, modernised pumping station next to the car park.]

Google Maps seems to be slightly confused about the canal and the river! They don't actually merge - the river passes under the canal just beyond the park.

Top Bottom