England : West Yorkshire Forum ride - Hebden Bridge to Otley, 15th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah - that explains it - I was looking the other way towards dr_pink and lecabnoir. :whistle:

See - I told you I'd remember the women! :thumbsup:

colly

Re member eR
So where will you be joining the back road between Ilkley and Otley ?

Looks to me like it will be either Denton Road past the golf course and Ilkley Lido or down Carters Lane and joining Denton Road just before the Iron Bridge over the Wharfe.

Edit :Just seen Colin's map. Carters |Lane it is.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Looks to me like it will be either Denton Road past the golf course and Ilkley Lido or down Carters Lane and joining Denton Road just before the Iron Bridge over the Wharfe.

Ah ok just so I know where I can intercept you.

I will take one of two routes from Harrogate:

1. Down the Harrogate to Skipton road and join the back road to Ilkley/Otley at the bottom of Beamsley Hill.
2. Over Askwith Moor and join the same back road at Askwith.

Just depends on what time I wake up and how lazy I feel as I am off out on saturday night, I am assuming that you are aiming for a 13:00 - 14:00 ETA ?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

So where will you be joining the back road between Ilkley and Otley ?
At exactly the point shown on the map!

(ColinJ wanders off muttering to himself ...)

:tongue:

Seriously though - doesn't the Bikely map work on your phone, or whatever device you are using today? It's working fine on my PC.

Hmm - I just tried it on my Galaxy Tab and it was flaky until I reloaded the page - it's okay now!

We will come down Carter's Lane to Denton Road.

I hadn't noticed how close Harrogate is to Otley! I never bother looking as far over as Harrogate on my map because it is not somewhere I'd ride to. If I was out that way, I'd normally head north towards Pateley Bridge instead.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Phil and colly - yes, we will be aiming for 13:00-14:00 along that road. Ideally, about 13:00 but we normally go slower than expected! If we are dramatically slow, then I'll text one of you. I have both of your numbers (unless they have changed in the past 12 months).

I'm still not sure what Shaun, Paul and maybe Skud will do regarding the route. It will be tough for them on fixed, that's for sure, but getting us all to the same place at the same time is going to be difficult if they go their own way. Anyway, that's their decision ...

Rider list:
  • ColinJ
  • bromptonfb
  • Pennine-Paul
  • Alun
  • skudupnorth
  • SlowerThanASluggishSloth
  • potsy (Haribo-loaded)
  • sdr gb
Guest appearances
  • tubbycyclist (Hebden Bridge to ... Steeton maybe?)
  • colly (Denton Road, 13:00 -13:30 ish, then to cafe)
  • phil_hg_uk ( Denton Road, 13:00 -13:30 ish, then to cafe )

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I'm out :sad: Mrs Skud has to work and i am buggered if i'm towing four mini-Skuds up them,there hills ! This year is not happening with CC rides for me,not happy bunny ! Have a good one chaps

sdr gb

Falling apart
Colin, you may not remember sdr-gb from the Jodrell ride, he weighs about as much as one of our legs, he'll be flying up those hills :biggrin:
I come in at just a shade over 9 stone:becool:

Sorry sdr gb - I think I have hit some sort of limit remembering new CycleChat faces!

Don't worry Colin, I didn't get that much chance to speak to you that day. I'm happy to bimble along at whatever speed you set. After all, it's a social ride, not a race.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I come in at just a shade over 9 stone:becool:
You should have fun on the climbs then! It's probably better for you not to really attack the first one of the day or you'd be waiting at the top in the wind for 15 or 20 minutes for me to get up there, but some of the shorter, steeper climbs should give you something to get stuck into!
Don't worry Colin, I didn't get that much chance to speak to you that day. I'm happy to bimble along at whatever speed you set. After all, it's a social ride, not a race.
That's the spirit!
I'm out :sad: Mrs Skud has to work and i am buggered if i'm towing four mini-Skuds up them,there hills ! This year is not happening with CC rides for me,not happy bunny ! Have a good one chaps
Oh, bad luck Skud!

I'm trying to get a 100 km ride in every month this year so I will be organising other rides like this one in August and September, then there is the Season of Mists audax from HB in October. I hope you can make it for at least one of them!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I have already listed the places that the route goes through in the first post. I haven't put a map up yet but will do later. (Done - here)

I don't mean to be funny Shaun, but the ride is what it is! If you want to go off and do your own route that is up to you but I can tell you now that if you are worried by Goose Eye then tremble in fear at Brunthwaite, avoid Langbar at all costs and don't even contemplate Otley Chevin, to name but a few! There are probably 5 or 6 separate climbs that you won't be able to get up on fixed. I always thought your motto was 'If it is quicker to walk, then I will walk' rather than 'I don't have the right gear so I will ride the long way round'!

It is about as fixed-hostile a route as they come but I didn't choose it to be nasty to fixed riders - it is just what most of my forum rides are like.

If you, Paul and Skud want a more fixed-friendly route then the best I can suggest is that you avoid Oakworth altogether (you have to do a steep valley descent/climb just to get to Oakworth) and ride on to Keighley from Haworth and go to Steeton that way. Then you would have to use the main road from Silsden to Addingham (to avoid Brunthwaite) and you could avoid Langbar by riding to the cafe in Weston via Ilkley. Return by the same route in reverse. That will come up short in distance and you won't be riding with the rest of us, but you could aim to get to the cafe at Weston at about 13:30 and we might bump into you there!

Alternatively - come with us, walk where you have to and regroup at the summits as usual.

bit strong colin?

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Seeing as Mrs Skud is the main bread earner we cannot say no to work she does,roll on next year when i have finnished this course,have a good ride Colin,weather looks good for Sunday.

Top Bottom