Fossyant's Herety SLX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Here is my pride and joy... had the frame built for me in approx 1990 and then I finished it off with Dura Ace components throughout - The 8 speed SIS had just been released to the market, so this was the dog's danglies at the time.

17 years on, it still looks brill - fantastic to ride, weight is about 9kg's which is OK for a steel bike. Capable of hitting extreme speeds down hill in complete confidence (60 mph) due to the 73 degree geometry.

The frame was built by Frank Herety of Stockport (the father of John Herety - ex pro rider, ex GB team manager/now a pro bike team manager) and was custom painted by C&G finishes of Liverpool. It's a complete one off.

Now riding on some Mavic Aksiums for training purposes, although one of the shots has Hed Jet's with titanium hubs (race wheels only)....

PICT2805.jpg

DSCF0173.jpg

DSCF0164.jpg

DSCF0154.jpg

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Beautiful bike fossy - I don't s'pose you're riding that on the commute, are you..? :biggrin:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

She's had an update.........

The old wheels on the Ribble were starting to make funny noises from the rims - worn out after 16 years, so the Aksiums have found a new home..on the Ribble..... bought a set of Kysrium Equipes - needed something tough but not too expensive...

DSCF0355.jpg

DSCF0356.jpg

Fossyant, call me old fashioned / retro, but that is simply "how" a road bike should look, perfect:biggrin:;);)

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

It's deffo retro as it's 16-17 years old, but it is the only one like it - it was Frank's 141st frame (part of the frame number) and you had to really ask him to build it for you - if you were an arrogant twit, you'd be kicked out..he just did frames, that was how it was then. Frank Herety was a massively well respected builder in the 80's/90's - probably earlier, in the Manchester area, they were/are the bees knees, so much so there is apparently a Herety frame in the Manchester Science Museum... must go to see my bike's brother/sister....

I've never bought anything else, like a Prince/Colnago extreme etc. as it just wouldn't be the same, this thing rides like something else, as you would expect from a proper custom bike. Had the choice of Columbus TSX os SLX as the top frame set at the time but TSX was too thin for chroming, and this bike was to be one that was raced and 'used' for a long time... the chroming was that good it's still perfect all these years later.

The problem with Dura-Ace kit is that it doesn't break..... I've been trying to go 10 speed on the Herety for years, but it still keeps working with no faults...... ah well...............

It has some battle scars - (more like dropping it) but otherwise in fine fettle, and may get a full restoration done in some years time by the likes of Mercian, cos no-one else is touching it......

Toshiba Boy said:
Fossyant, call me old fashioned / retro, but that is simply "how" a road bike should look, perfect:biggrin:;):biggrin:

seconded. beautiful bike, looks far better than some clubmates carbon jobs - they don't have any of the chrome bits :biggrin:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

The only campag bits are the seatpin bolt and the Record Carbon Looks - as Shimano Dura Ace ones were not ARC (no Float) - (I did have some DA Looks but they were no good for my knees) - plus the Campag pedals are white which matches some of the paint work.

Top Bottom